April 19, 2024, 06:05:58 PM

News:

86 fxrs

Started by worker, May 05, 2021, 10:47:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

worker

Ever since I have the bike since 87. It won't shift into neutral when sitting still will running. I see in the manual you can put in extra plates. Does this help?

Hossamania

Try revving the engine a bit with the clutch pulled in and see if you can "toe" it into neutral. It is usually caused by improper clutch adjustment, causing drag.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

xlfan

Primary oil level?

Buglet

If that is the stock clutch that came with the bike you should have no problem with getting it in neutral. Just as long ever thing is working properly. Never had a problem with the early EVO clutches.

Burnout

Did a 86 have a 4speed clutch or the new & improved diaphragm 4 bolt clutch   :turd:
They don't call me Ironhead Rick just because I'm "hard headed"

hogpipes1

My 85 is a wet clutch you're 86 should be also. With a five speed trans.

Burnout

May 06, 2021, 01:44:49 PM #6 Last Edit: May 06, 2021, 01:50:26 PM by Burnout
Is it a

This clutch might just need the springs juggled so the strong (tall) ones are opposite each other so the pressure plate does not tip when it is released.

Or is it a

There is no fixing this clutch, you need a splined mainshaft to fix it. They split right down the keyway or the posts break off, a reinforcement ring only makes it slightly stronger, still easily broken. If you EVER dump the clutch (even accidentally) this is not the clutch you want.
They don't call me Ironhead Rick just because I'm "hard headed"

guido4198

The one on the bottom in that image is what is on my 1985 FXRS.  Clutch Hub. Part number 37550-84.
The original HD part was cast aluminum and one of the posts broke. I never had a key-way issue. I replaced it with one from Rev-Tech that had steel posts, welded in place. Better option.
I don't know what is in the 1986 bikes.

Thermodyne

86 came with the NOVA wet clutch.  It also has a release lever instead of ball ramps.  And they were prone to clutch drag making neutral hard to find.

First you need to make sure it doesn't have an extra plate kit or heavy spring installed.

After that, any play in the lever pivot is an issue, as is wear on the ends of the fork face.  And if the retainer plate is not using the correct set of holes, that can make them drag too.

Back in the day, we used to run ATF with those clutches, to help them not slip, and to make them easier to find nutral.

tomfiii

Putting in extra plates is only necessary  if clutch plate will not come into flatness per instructions.  Only one quart of fluid is needed.