April 18, 2024, 02:17:20 PM

News:

failure to lauch (2003 fuel injected tc)

Started by Samsquanch, May 08, 2021, 11:29:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Samsquanch

Hey everyone. Ive just rebuilt the top end of my 2003 FI fatboy.

98" cp carillo 10:1 pistons
andrews 37 cam
tc96 heads with freshly lapped valves and small port job
power commander 5
white brorthers e series pipe

today i tried to start it.

compression test showed 150psi in both cylinders (surprisingly low, i expected mid 180s, maybe its the gauge)

put the plugs back in, no firing, just winding the engine over and over.

i smell gas by the tip of the exhaust so i think ive got fuel moving through it.

I pulled the plugs and held them next to the head, saw a small blue spark come from rear cylinder plug, nothing from the front. I just put new spark plugs in, still no boom boom.

crank position sensor is intact

removed power commander 5 and tried to start with stock ignition module, still nothing.

all thats left, as far as i know, is the ignition coil, unless im missing something.

Any suggestions and tips are welcome. How do I test the stock coil?

FXDBI

Plugs need to be in for spark to happen you need to leave them in and use a 2nd plug for the spark check. Are you sure the timing is right on the cams with that low of compression ,same both cylinders? What did u use for pushrods?  Bob

Samsquanch

Quote from: FXDBI on May 08, 2021, 12:02:23 PM
Plugs need to be in for spark to happen you need to leave them in and use a 2nd plug for the spark check. Are you sure the timing is right on the cams with that low of compression ,same both cylinders? What did u use for pushrods?  Bob

the cams have been in it for a few years now, bike ran last fall before i took it apart. I cannot imagine the cam timing changed as i have not opened the cam chest. the 150psi has me believing the gauge is likely reading incorrectly more then anything else.

deck height was -.005 and -.009 in rear and front, 86cc combustion chambers, .030 head gasket should put me around 185psi with the andrews 37s.

S&S adjustable pushrods and hydraulic lifters.

thanks for some help.

Samsquanch

Double checked the new plugs, they work. Plug wires were not taken off of ignition coil at any time so they cannot be in the wrong positions.

I reversed the fuel injection wires, also no change. Put them back where they should go.

I'm stumped.

Exhaust pipe smells like fresh gas, spark plugs spark... WTF?!

PoorUB

Check the compression with another gauge, or test the gauge with shop air?
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

Coyote

I assume you made sure all the sensors on the throttle body are connected. 

Samsquanch

Quote from: PoorUB on May 08, 2021, 04:56:39 PM
Check the compression with another gauge, or test the gauge with shop air?

I dont have another gauge or compressed air available.

Samsquanch

Quote from: Coyote on May 08, 2021, 05:15:19 PM

I have.

kd

With fuel and spark there should be at least a pop out of it.  Is it possible your compression gauge is reading too high rather than low?  When it is turning over does it sound like it is bumping on compression evenly on both cylinders as it cranks.  I'm wondering if the pushrods are too tight?  Tight intake valves may push air back into the manifold and be noticeable with the breather off.   Lack of compression and swirl can mean no fire in the hole. The plugs may be wet.

First of all I would charge the battery and jump it with a car battery to see if it cranks better and fires. If it doesn't sound like it's hitting on compression when you crank it, the next thing I would try is to carefully reset the pushrods  from scratch.  It would be a good idea to record the number of turns and flats it takes to back them off to the point of negligible side shake in the lifter cup.  That will give you an idea where they were set.  You may find they were too tight. That can happen if there was confusion over the TPI of the adjuster and you set 24 TPI pushrods to 32 TPI specs (especially if you were setting them to be deeper than mid way).  I am sure you know this but make sure you wait long enough for them to leak down and can spin them between adjustments.  With all of the cranking you have done they should be loaded with heavier oil.
KD

Coyote

Quote from: Samsquanch on May 08, 2021, 05:22:17 PM
Quote from: Coyote on May 08, 2021, 05:15:19 PM

I have.

Check your  push rods again.

Samsquanch

Thanks KD and Coyote. Today I will go over the throttle body again and then adjust pushrods. I will compression test again before trying to fire the engine as well.

CndUltra88

Quote from: Samsquanch on May 09, 2021, 04:58:08 AM
Thanks KD and Coyote. Today I will go over the throttle body again and then adjust pushrods. I will compression test again before trying to fire the engine as well.

Umm, err :unsure: have you flipped the run switch to On ???
Infantryman Terry Street
End of Tour April,4,2008 Panjwayi district Afghanistan

Coyote

Quote from: CndUltra88 on May 09, 2021, 07:54:06 AM
Quote from: Samsquanch on May 09, 2021, 04:58:08 AM

Umm, err :unsure: have you flipped the run switch to On ???

Umm, err .. Did you even read his posts?   :nix:

Samsquanch

Success! I checked pushrods. Rear cylinder exhaust needed the slightest stretch. I'd guess .010". Took all wires off of throttle body for a quick look to see any possible issues, found the accessory aux wire under my tank. Good to know where it is. Performered another compression test that showed 165psi in both cylinders, put the plugs back and and it fired up 2nd crank. I have no idea what it was, but my money would be on lose connection.

Thanks to everyone for the help.

Ohio HD

Invest in a tube of dielectric grease, and put that on all electrical plugs in the connection.

Samsquanch

And an even bigger thanks to Hogman for the sale of his old pistons and jugs, and for HIS TIME! Thank you sir for being there when I had questions and for all your shared experience! It is greatly appreciated!

kd

Quote from: Ohio HD on May 09, 2021, 12:35:12 PM
Invest in a tube of dielectric grease, and put that on all electrical plugs in the connection.

:agree:  Good advice.  Contact cleaner first, check all of the spades and pins for alignment and a tight fit and apply the dielectric grease.
KD

Samsquanch

Contact cleaner a d dielectric grease is a great idea.

kd

Check the spade connectors, pins and sockets for a tight fit while you are cleaning them too.  A loose fit may have been the actual problem to begin with.  The tip of a tiny knife will be helpful to tighten the barrels the pins go into and you may have to pinch a spade female receptacle in a bit too. I can't remember what there is there.  I'm glad it turned out to be an easy find.
KD

Samsquanch

Quote from: kd on May 09, 2021, 04:36:19 PM
Check the spade connectors, pins and sockets for a tight fit while you are cleaning them too.  A loose fit may have been the actual problem to begin with.  The tip of a tiny knife will be helpful to tighten the barrels the pins go into and you may have to pinch a spade female receptacle in a bit too. I can't remember what there is there.  I'm glad it turned out to be an easy find.

I'm not sure what you mean by space connectors. Enlighten me please.

Hossamania

Quote from: Samsquanch on May 09, 2021, 05:12:38 PM

Corrected to spade connectors.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

kd

:hyst:  I missed that.  Thanks for fixing it for this old "space" cadet.  :hyst:
KD

Samsquanch

Quote from: Hossamania on May 09, 2021, 05:22:14 PM
Quote from: Samsquanch on May 09, 2021, 05:12:38 PM

Corrected to spade connectors.

What he said. Ha!

Samsquanch

seriously now,what are spade connectors?

had the bike out for a 50km test ride today, everything is great! temps seem to be in the right range, bike runs smooth and STRONG. 1st gear is SQUIRRELY. rolling at about 60kmh i can dump the clutch in 2nd gear and burn rubber. downshift to pass? no need, at all.

I hoped the bike would have lots of torque and it sure does.

Im planning for a dyno tune shortly for optimal tuning and to see the results of all the wrenching. So far I am pleased and excited to know there could be a few more ponies left undiscovered.

Coyote

I don't think there are any spade connectors there. Sounds like you are running so that's good.