April 19, 2024, 01:25:26 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

2012 FLHTK Saddle Bag Flew off somewhere between Ft Worth and Katy, TX

Started by Norton Commando, May 10, 2021, 03:58:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norton Commando

Yup, lost the right saddle bag from my 2012 Ultra Limited on a highway somewhere in Texas.  So, I'm going to buy a replacement,  but need a key code/number in order to buy the correct lock.  Does anyone know where I can find the key code/number? Is it on the back of the key fob? Or is it inside the key fob and if so, which of the numbers is the unique one that identifies the key?  See pic.

Jason
Remember, you can sleep in your car, but you can't drive your house.

Coyote

Take the plastic cover off your key. It's on the key itself. It  has nothing to do with the  fob.

Norton Commando

Quote from: Coyote on May 10, 2021, 03:59:17 PM
Take the plastic cover off your key. It's on the key itself. It  has nothing to do with the  fob.

Thank you for the instructions. My key appears to be encapsulated in plastic, but no seams are visible.  Do you just cut away the plastic or...?

Jason
[attach=0]

Ohio HD

Both of the bikes I have now came with a metal ID tag on one of the key rings. They have the fully covered plastic on the keys like those.

[attach=0,msg1385652]

Fugawee

My FLHTCUI is a little older than Yours, but it came with a plastic tab on a key ring with 4 numbers, followed by HD.  Example=0000HD.
If You are getting a new bag from a HD Dealer, possibly providing the Bikes VIN number may solve the problem.  I'm not sure.

Norton Commando

Thank you for all the suggestions, guys. I bought my bike used and did not receive any metal or plastic tabs with numbers on them. So, do you think if I cut/grind away the plastic on one of my keys, that I'll find a four digit number hidden within?

Jason

Fugawee

I suppose You could.  I think I would use a razor, or knife of some sort...maybe even a small slotted screwdriver to pry/pop it off.  I think that I would leave the grinder where it is, and not use it.  With My luck, I would grind the number away.  I think that I would try the VIN# at a Dealer first, if that is where You will get the replacement bag, though.
I hope that You didn't lose anything too valuable in that bag as well.  Sucks.

Ohio HD

Norton Commando

Quote from: Ohio HD on May 10, 2021, 04:54:16 PM
Replace the crappy old style OEM mounts with the newer style OEM mounts.

https://harleytechtalk.com/htt/index.php/topic,104788.msg1242811.html#msg1242811

Thank you for the suggestion to upgrade my saddle bag mounting mechanism.  I carefully cut away the plastic sheath on my key and it did reveal a four digit number. Thanks for all the help guys!

Jason

[attach=0,msg1385659]

Coyote

Everyone I've ever done, the plastic cover just slides off when the key is off the ring.

Norton Commando

Quote from: Coyote on May 10, 2021, 05:34:37 PM
Everyone I've ever done, the plastic cover just slides off when the key is off the ring.

Great, so where were you when I asked how to get the cover off? But I should have known after looking at the key closely. :embarrassed:

Jason

cheech

Quote from: Norton Commando on May 10, 2021, 05:50:15 PM
Great, so where were you when I asked how to get the cover off? But I should have known after looking at the key closely. :embarrassed:

Jason
See when at dealer if they have replacement plastic, or just get a new key from them if ya really wan the plastic.

Fugawee

It appears to be a valuable, yet expensive lesson to be learned here.  I'm not throwing any stones here, or patting Myself on the back; but any time I'm about to throw a leg over My Bike...I take a quick look at it to make sure everything is there.  Whether local, or distance riding.  Even more so if anything is bungee'd to the luggage rack, etc.  I also lock the S-bags, and Tour Pak for added protection, at least in My mind.
Back in 1998, while riding to Sturgis...one of the Guys ahead of Me had a small plastic cooler come flying off His Bike while We were going over a large, long bridge on one of the Interstates.  Bungee cord broke.  Say good-bye to that cooler, and it's contents.  Made it a point to check Mine and other's stuff while We stopped for whatever reason.  But, crazy stuff happens.

Jim Bronson

There was a service bulletin for saddlebag locks on some models. Mine is a 2015, and the dealer replaced mine with the "new and improved" version. I still was nervous about them falling off, so I installed guards. No worries now.

Also, The plastic cover slides off my keys. No surgery needed.
Going down that long, lonesome highway. Gonna live life my way.

Fugawee

I too have the S-bag rail type guards on a 94' FLHTC, and an 03' FLHTCUI.  One time while motoring on down the highway on the 94', I heard this "rat-a-tat-tat-bing-bam-boom" noise coming from the right rear side.  Pulled over, and saw that the S-bag lid latch had popped up and open.  From that point on, I have always locked...with the key, the S-bags, and Tour-Pak.  Makes Me feel a little better in the mind department.
As far as the plastic on the keys...I only have that on the 03's keys, and it appears that they are pretty well stuck on there.  I'm sure that I could get it off if I really had to though.  The plastic doesn't move or slide at all.  I also keep a spare key stashed on the Bike in a super secret location that needs no tools to get at.  And I keep all My Bikes key #'s in My cell phone, and on paper in My wallet, along with VIN #'s.

freddie_ray

Glad that you got your key situation fixed. I have used Bagger Bolts for over 8 years on my 2012 FLHTK and love them, I also added bag guards like on the old Electra Glides. Never cared for the naked look on the saddle bags. Hated that look on my 09 RK also, my wife hated it also. She purchased the guards for me in 2013. Gotta Love that!!! :koolaid3:

james r

Put Address Labels in My Bags.
    Maybe a Sticker With My Cell #  Next ,
     In Case Bags Fall Off !

Norton Commando

Quote from: james r on June 01, 2021, 07:38:50 PM
   Put Address Labels in My Bags.
    Maybe a Sticker With My Cell #  Next ,
     In Case Bags Fall Off !

Great idea!

Jason