April 16, 2024, 02:57:42 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Will I be better off with 2-1 pipe?

Started by Adam76, May 12, 2021, 02:38:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adam76

I currently have the stock headers and what I think are the old original SE mufflers on the 2002 fatboy I'm rebuilding. Inside the muffler it you look down it's barrel there's kinda a large bent over flap inside that directs and restricts air flow...

Anyways, I can't afford the pro pipe I would like, but I've seen this other 2-1 python pipe (I  believe may actually be made by V&H) and I was wondering if it would improve the tq / hp of my build over what I already have? I'm certainly not chasing 2 hp so it would have to be a significant improvement like more area under the TQ curve that you can actually feel when you ride. 

The motor has 10.1 comp,  CR575 cams, DTT ignition and I have a set of 2009 96" heads that have had a valve job and cc'd to 84cc

Thanks for any advice

Samsquanch

There are good 2-1 pipes and bad. I cannot speak for that pipe specifically but MOST 2-1 are good and will outperform your current set up.

Appowner

Blast!  Now there's another $1000 I want to spend on the bike.

rigidthumper

You are only a few hundred $ from having the perfect bike- and always will be 8>)
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

Don D

The pipes are decent. The baffle can have a few more holes drilled to add horsepower.  The motor is restricted from breathing by the heads and throttle body

Deye76

Maybe look for a used pipe. Supertrapp a excellent choice IME. Especially if where you ride enforces noise laws.
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

Ohio HD

Quote from: rigidthumper on May 12, 2021, 05:19:55 AM
You are only a few hundred $ from having the perfect bike- and always will be 8>)

:agree:        :up:

Samsquanch

Quote from: Deye76 on May 12, 2021, 07:45:24 AM
Maybe look for a used pipe. Supertrapp a excellent choice IME. Especially if where you ride enforces noise laws.

I'll 2nd that. I picked up an old white brothers e series(very similar to supertrapp) and its the best purchase I made for the bike.

donk_316

What about tuning?

I'm going from slip ons to the V&H competition short 2 into 1.

I feel I am going to be rich until the bike adjusts.
2017 FXSE w/117"

Coff 06

I have that pipe (Python 2/1) on my 06 98" build(123/118).Yes they were made by V&H.It was a drastic improvement over my Python 2-2.With this pipe torque is all in by 22-2500 rpm instead of the 2-2 that didn't come on till about 3500rpm.Brought the power band down lower so a lot less shifting.  Coff 06
06 FX Springer, 98",11/1,9B+4*,HPI 55/58 /5.3inj,HDSP Pro Street heads,123/118

Don D

Stock head pipes are with a crossover. The mufflers are cycle shacks. Decent, a fatcat better

Adam76

Quote from: HD Street Performance on May 12, 2021, 12:15:27 PM
Stock head pipes are with a crossover. The mufflers are cycle shacks. Decent, a fatcat better

Thanks Don,  are you referring to my pipes? Because there is no crossover in my head pipes? From what I can tell the stock mufflers that came with the bike had the small balance tube between them.
Cheers

Adam76

Quote from: rigidthumper on May 12, 2021, 05:19:55 AM

😁 always.

Adam76

Quote from: HD Street Performance on May 12, 2021, 05:33:36 AM
The pipes are decent. The baffle can have a few more holes drilled to add horsepower.  The motor is restricted from breathing by the heads and throttle body

Thanks Don ,  where do you still these holes?
Thanks

Adam76

Quote from: Coff 06 on May 12, 2021, 11:37:24 AM
I have that pipe (Python 2/1) on my 06 98" build(123/118).Yes they were made by V&H.It was a drastic improvement over my Python 2-2.With this pipe torque is all in by 22-2500 rpm instead of the 2-2 that didn't come on till about 3500rpm.Brought the power band down lower so a lot less shifting.  Coff 06

Thanks Coff, that's good info.
Cheers

Don D

Pull the baffles and just add a few holes same size as existing.  Road test. You can go too far and end up with a torque loss down low

Adam76

Quote from: HD Street Performance on May 13, 2021, 07:55:09 AM
Pull the baffles and just add a few holes same size as existing.  Road test. You can go too far and end up with a torque loss down low

Thanks, I didn't think the baffles were removable?  I'll recheck in the morning. 👍

Coff 06

They are removable.Mine had just been repacked when I bought it from a member here.   Coff 06

tdkkart

The mufflers are cycle shacks.

Cycle Shack, that's it, was trying to remember who made those.  They were some of the best back then. I had a Wide Glide with a V&H ProPipe
that left a big dead spot in the throttle right at highway speed, Switch back to stock head pipe and Cycle Shacks, ran much better.

Adam76

Quote from: tdkkart on May 18, 2021, 05:15:06 AM
The mufflers are cycle shacks.

Cycle Shack, that's it, was trying to remember who made those.  They were some of the best back then. I had a Wide Glide with a V&H ProPipe
that left a big dead spot in the throttle right at highway speed, Switch back to stock head pipe and Cycle Shacks, ran much better.

Thanks guys, I'll stick with the mufflers I have.  Sounds like they are good enough for my mild build.
Cheers

Adam76

Just to clarify, the set up that came with my '02 Fatboy had no crossover in the head pipes, but I did manage to get a set of stock '01/'02 Fatboy mufflers that did have a small balance tube connecting the the two mufflers before they meet up with the head pipes. But once the Cycle Shacks are bolted on, I lose the balance tube and they are essentially just 2 - 2 headers and mufflers.

I'm thinking of spending the extra money on a SERDI valve job and if I can scrape up the $450 for the python 2-1 pipe I will buy it as well. I like the look and the sound of the 2-1 pro pipe and this pipe is said to be pretty similar.

HD Street Performance - I understand the restriction of my build is in the heads and throttle body. Proper headwork is not an option, but Is it worth getting port matching done with the valve job? Trying to makethe most out if the CR575 cams...

Cheers

Don D

I would not spend a dime on the heads unless you are getting a proper porting job. There is a UK porter on this forum, I think his handle is madmax. I don't even know what "port matching" is. Ports get right when they are the proper cross sectional area for the build and that includes choices of valve sizes. The cam is just another 235 degree cam in the sea of them. Wess is a nice guy but not a wizard and neither are any of the other cams in this class the silver bullet solution to big power.  When the heads breath properly and have the velocity needed that constraint is gone and now the build can be scaled up and down much easier.

-deuced-

Don't know where in Australia Adam76 is but my guess is madmax is about the same distance from him as HD Street Performance is.

Adam, are you referring to intake manifold / intake port transition when you say port matching? I seem to remember The Admiral doing some testing on this years ago and his answer was no.
Check your rear header pipe closely for cracks.

Coff 06

HD Street Performance is in Washington State  USA    Coff 06

Adam76

Don D

Austrailia, OK that changes things. I don't know of sources there. twin cam cores are not that much these days, we can port and send them.