March 28, 2024, 04:35:45 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Replacement head unit

Started by Hazzardousmat, May 12, 2021, 04:54:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hazzardousmat

Hey all, long time no chat. Hope ev1 is well.
Anyway I'm thinking of putting a new head unit in my 2013 Ultra Limited. I want to add siris xm, but worried about the handlebar mounted unit if I get caught in the rain, I still want to have use of my handlebar controls. However I'm not liking what I have found so far. Recommendations? Thanks in advance
CR570 cams, fullsac mufflers and boyesen intake

PoorUB

Pretty sure Harley has an add on satelite radio to work  with the stock radio. It will function with the factory hand controls.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

02fxst

i just bought used a used harley xm module with antenna that mounts on top of my stock radio (2010 ultra), it works from the hand controls and cost is 4.95 a month. Its much better than channels fading out or switching cd's. 

Fugawee

Yeah, HD has there own internal on the radio, and handlebar mounted unit to the tune of $400-$500 bucks each, new.  Plus the monthly fee.  I have a SiriusXM Onyx portable unit that I bounce between Bikes, Truck, and Home Stereo.  I made a H-bar mount for the unit out of some leftover XM mounting parts, and a couple of older leftover assorted H-bar mounting clamps.  Mounted it up by the left side controls.  I routed the antenna thru the inner fairing by the clutch cable, and mounted it on the lower triple tree.  Neither of the pieces are going anywhere, unless I move them.  As far as rain...I put a zip-lock sandwich baggie over the unit, and use a couple of hair/rubber bands to hold it, if needed.  No problems.  I added an additional cigarette lighter/power port on the left side inner fairing for the power.  All the wiring contained in wire loom, and zip tied to the H-bar...whether I use it or not.  It's cheaper this way paying only for service on that one unit, and using it where I want.  There is lot of good, used portable SiriusXM stuff out there on Ebay, etc.  Not as un-noticeable an installation of the radio mount unit...but it works just fine.

cheech

Quote from: Hazzardousmat on May 12, 2021, 04:54:21 PM
However I'm not liking what I have found so far. Recommendations? Thanks in advance
To narrow down any suggestions what so far haven't you liked as in brands or whatnot?

PoorUB

May 13, 2021, 03:59:47 PM #5 Last Edit: May 13, 2021, 07:10:02 PM by PoorUB
Back when I bought my 2005 Ultra there was no XM module so I bought a Roady2 from Best Buy, they had them on close out for something like $20. I remember buying one, and thinking, "that was stupid" and went back in and bought a spare. I ran that Roady2 75,000 miles on the 2005 then moved it over to my 2010 Ultra. At some point it got wet enough times so it failed and I put on the spare and ran that. I shopped eBay and bought another spare. That second unit ran about 80,000 miles on my 2010 and then I bought the 2016 Limited and moved it over. At some point i ended up swapping out to the third spare. I tore apart the second unit, cleaned up the corrosion inside and it worked, so it want into the trunk for a spare. I still have the two Roady2's, but the 2016 Limited is gone. I used the baggie and rubber band method of waterproofing it but would forget once in a while.

After all the screwing around if I had to start fresh I would just bite it and buy the factory XM module.

Fugawee

I just like the idea of being able to take the unit where I want it.  House, Truck, or Bike...without paying for the single subscription only for the Bike.  I used to bring it in My Company Truck before I retired.  It only takes a minute, or two to remove/reinstall it, and take it where I want.  My Wife has it built-in in Her car, so I am actually paying for two subscriptions.  I can also stream it thru the computer to My home stereo, at no additional cost...but I usually just use the Onyx unit.  I think I still have a Roadie 2 unit, or two; around here somewhere.  Probably take Me a month to find them, unless I may have given them away.  I forget.  Whatever works for You is OK by Me.

PoorUB

My BMW R1200RT came with a satellite receiver so I pay for that. At one time I was paying for three subscriptions, BMW, HD wit the Roady2 and my work truck had a built in receiver.

kd

I also use my one subscription like Fugawee. I have a handlebar mount with the mount, short lead antenna and platform, and base. I have less than $40 all in - max and new off ebay.

Your Sirius subscription also allows you to listen on your computer (or computers) and phone.  I do both.  When I am working in the yard (like today) I listen to Sirius Radio Classics (detective stories) or tunes like classic rock, blues or country and the same on my computer some times. Off the Sirius topic a bit I also use "Radio Garden" on my phone which is every radio station in the world picked off a GPS of the globe.  The phone on the bike can be a little sketchy with some area towers though. In the north, Sirius can be too because the satellites are so low on the horizon.

My subscription plays in the car, truck, motorcycle(s), ghetto blaster and house.
KD

PoorUB

Likewise. I stream music all the time. I have a couple bluetooth speakers but often while working around the home I just stream Sirius from my WiFi and drop my phone in my pocket.

I have an old smart phone in my shop connected to a home stereo that I stream music through my WiFi and listen to  Sirius or Youtube. You can find darned near anything on YouTube.

Coyote

Pandora is much better and cheaper  imo.

kd

Quote from: PoorUB on May 13, 2021, 08:29:42 PM
Likewise. I stream music all the time. I have a couple bluetooth speakers but often while working around the home I just stream Sirius from my WiFi and drop my phone in my pocket.

I have an old smart phone in my shop connected to a home stereo that I stream music through my WiFi and listen to  Sirius or Youtube. You can find darned near anything on YouTube.

Oh yeah, I forgot about my Bluetooth speaker units and earphones too.
KD

Hazzardousmat

Quote from: cheech on May 13, 2021, 06:52:32 AM
Quote from: Hazzardousmat on May 12, 2021, 04:54:21 PM
However I'm not liking what I have found so far. Recommendations? Thanks in advance
To narrow down any suggestions what so far haven't you liked as in brands or whatnot?
Pioneer, Jensen and Aquatic along with the various ones listed on Ebay. I'm not liking the reviews. Either doesnt work with handle bar controls, cant see the display or road distortion are the most common.

Hazzardousmat

Quote from: PoorUB on May 13, 2021, 08:29:42 PM

I have been streaming it through my phone, only issue is losing phone service in areas. I have an old XM unit I used when I drove semi, maybe use it and a baggie :)

cheech

Quote from: Hazzardousmat on May 14, 2021, 02:04:38 PM
Pioneer, Jensen and Aquatic along with the various ones listed on Ebay. I'm not liking the reviews. Either doesnt work with handle bar controls, cant see the display or road distortion are the most common.
Well those are about the only ones I'm aware of as being plug and play.
Buddy has This, as far as I know everything works OK as far as hand controls. The other factors I'm unsure if he has issues or not. Never mentions any issues.
He doesn't use Sirius with it. Either Bluetooth's his phone or USB flash drive with it.

Tireman

I put a Rockford Fosgate PMX-HD9813 in my 2011 Triglide and upgraded the speakers to Rockford Fosgate as well and like it so far!
1984 FLHS 80" 57/61  2009 SG Mega Flo 124"152/154
2011 TG Mega Flo 117" 116/127

travelingypsye

I will chime in on this. Aquatics units can be very good and are easy to install but they are spotty on quality. If you do a search on different audio forums, you will see that a lot of them have gone south after 6mo to a yr of operation. That is do to vibration on them and the mother board will loose connections. Just the nature of how they are made. If you are looking for a good hu to play your streaming sources, look into a unit that has a min of 4v output from a preamp outs, a white background so it can be seen in bright sun and a front usb connection. Sony and kenwood both offer these features on some of their units.

Hope this helps.