April 18, 2024, 03:14:28 PM

News:

103 stage 2 cam choice

Started by Trev T, May 14, 2021, 04:54:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trev T

Brother in law picked up a 2012 electra with 32K. Has small weep at rocker bases so going into the top and refresh the cam chest(bearings/bypass shim/tensioner pads) have .030 gaskets so probably put those in also. Cam choices are Andrews 48's or Wood TW-5-6. intake is the S&S stealth and has an older 2-1 kerker (no discs, muffler). riding style mostly solo cruise and quick starts to 5K. Pros & Cons of either ? will be tuned with Direct Link. 

rigidthumper

The 5-6 closes 10° later than the 48H, so it likes a little more compression. @ 10:1, the 5-6 is better above 3K.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

shindig

To be quite honest if you are that far in might as well take the cylinders and bore them to 107.  Use the piston and head gasket of your choice to set the compression to what cam you want to use.  That really is the best bang for your buck in addition to the other stuff that is planned, yet still have a really quality build.

If it is a budget build throw in some stock size 10.5 compression pistons and pick a cam that works well at that compression that fits the riding style.  It will wake it up way more.

RTMike

PoorUB

May 14, 2021, 08:21:21 AM #4 Last Edit: May 14, 2021, 10:01:43 AM by PoorUB
Leave the heads on, not worth the trouble to add gaskets, may as well go with a big bore then, and where do you stop? Cams and a proper tune will seriously wake it up.

Cams are like picking women, everyone has a favorite, my last choice was Cycle Rama 570-2 very happy with them.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

With the .030 gaskets I'd go 5-6, cam only 48.

Trev T

Ended up going with the wood TW5-6 with .030 gaskets D&D bosscat. Heads were gone over with pocket/valve cleanup and a light re-surface. My son ended up buying the bike(2012 Ultra) as it was a great bike and great price . Checked runout at .002 which was very good considering 32K miles and installed the bearings/tensioner shoes/lifters/relief shim etc. Dyno in a few weeks when finished with the wheel/tire combo. Used a basic tune (direct link) of Dragos 565/ Dragos 2-1 and have autotuned several times since, runs really good and quiet(140lb)with power low/mid. Had to put a SE clutch spring in it as it blew the clutch away immediately.  will dyno tune just to be sure. post dyno when finished.