March 28, 2024, 02:52:46 PM

News:

No oil in the oil tank

Started by aalsalem, May 14, 2021, 11:08:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aalsalem

Hi, i have a 2009 Crossbone and every time i leave my bike for about a month or so without starting there is no oil in the oil tank all the oil in the oil tank leaks down into the engine ..... i believe there is an valve somewhere in the cam area. do we change it ? anyone have a diagram, so i can locate it ?  is there a part number ?
thanks 

KiwiRob

Being a Softail, the oil will drain slowly past the stock oil pump, and into the engine, if left without starting for a long period of time. With aftermarket oil pumps that don't have the wavy spring between the pump gears, the oil will drain completely overnight. - Rob

aalsalem

Aha I see, I forgot to mention that I have installed an SE oil pump and the backing plate but that was along time ago

Rusticwater

Here's some info you might find useful: link

Check out the clamp FSG uses in reply #16.
Support the Maine lobster industry

Appowner

My 08 Softail is one that will drain over night.  Fueling pump with a 103 build.  When I go to first start of the day I pull the oil tank plug/dip stick and then start it watching to see that oil is being pumped back into the tank.  Takes maybe a minute or so to drain the crank case during which time I do NOT touch the throttle.  Just let it sit and warm up at idle for a minute or so.

Been doing this for 8 years now with no issues.  Stock starter and battery.  Handles the starting chores like they always did.

Hillside Motorcycle

Quote from: Appowner on May 15, 2021, 08:08:48 AM
My 08 Softail is one that will drain over night.  Fueling pump with a 103 build.  When I go to first start of the day I pull the oil tank plug/dip stick and then start it watching to see that oil is being pumped back into the tank.  Takes maybe a minute or so to drain the crank case during which time I do NOT touch the throttle.  Just let it sit and warm up at idle for a minute or so.

Been doing this for 8 years now with no issues.  Stock starter and battery.  Handles the starting chores like they always did.

Gravity-drain issue from forever. :up:
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

Appowner

Quote from: Hillside Motorcycle on May 17, 2021, 03:29:37 AM
Quote from: Appowner on May 15, 2021, 08:08:48 AM

Gravity-drain issue from forever. :up:

Heh!  Heh!  Yep!

As long as there's no puddle under the bike, the day starts well.  :)