April 18, 2024, 08:43:25 AM

News:

electrical connection 91A

Started by bigfoot5x, May 15, 2021, 03:10:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigfoot5x

My wife rides a 2011 Super Glide Custom (FXDC). I am installing the Harley Boom Audio system and thought I would do it properly. The instructions are to connect into electrical connection 91A using a fancy connector from Harley. The connector is square and has 6 wires in it. Three are used for the stereo. I thought this would be simple but I cannot find anything that is square with 6 wires and matches the connector. I removed the battery and battery box so I can get a good look under the seat. I also removed the tank console looking for 91A near the ignition switch. Any idea where 91A could be hiding? OR an idea how to wire this up? Thanks!

rigidthumper

91A is the data link connector, under the side cover. Double check the instructions, as the 6 pin DLC didn't start until 2012 Dyna models, the 2011 models had a 4 pin data link connector.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

Rusticwater

On the 2011 Dyna models there are two connectors under the seat that can be tapped for power, the B+ connector (unfused and unswitched) and the accessory connector (fused and switched). I suggest using the accessory connector.

Look up Harley part # 70264-94A, the switched circuit adapter harness, which is plugged into the accessory connector. You can cut off or splice one of the plugs on that adapter harness to power your audio without splicing/modifying the main wiring harness of the bike. NAMZ sells a similar product, part# NOBD-PYH.
Support the Maine lobster industry

bigfoot5x

Hey guys! Thanks for the help. The instructions tell me to buy electrical connection kit #72673-11 for 2011 later Dyna. Rigidthumper is correct. All the connectors on the 2011 I'm working on have 4 pins and the kit has 6.I ran into a similar issue years ago when trying to add a tach to a Dyna Wide Glide. The instructions did not match up with the bike. Had to have a tech at the dealer tell me which wires to use.

I figure I'll have to do as Rusticwater suggests. I've done that plenty of times but thought I would do something properly for a change.

The problem is that instead of having a simple red and black wire connection, the Boom has a black wire and 2 colored/striped wires that connect to 2 different wires for some reason.

Rusticwater

Just so you know, I've got a 2010 FXDC and the wiring is the same as the 2011. The adapter your Boom instructions is calling for is for Canbus bikes, but the Dynas didn't go Canbus until 2012. The 6 pin DLC connector on the 2012 and later Dynas supplies both switched and unswitched fused power. Our bikes don't have a similar connector.

The adapter harness I mentioned only supplies switched fused power. Not being familiar with the Boom system, my guess is it requires unswitched fused power to maintain settings or such?

So if you also need unswitched "fused" power on your 2011 you could consider a couple of things. Get a Battery Tender connector and wire to the battery, it's fused and you could cut the SAE connector off leaving you with a fused power lead and figure out a way to connect it to the Boom. Or you could use the B+ connector under the seat and get Harley adapter #70270-04 to plug into it, then rig something that has a fuse between the 70270-04 and the Boom wiring. Just remember the B+ connector on our bikes is essentially unfused (aside from the Maxi fuse).

I would probably go the Battery Tender connector route since the battery is right under the seat anyway and the connectors are cheaper than the Harley 70270-04 and they're fused already...
Support the Maine lobster industry

bigfoot5x

Got it wired up and working, at least the led indicator light comes on when powered up. Haven't done the bluetooth part yet.

I reread the instructions as suggested here and found a screw up in the instructions. Page 1 says 2011 and later Dyna get the connector I bought that didn't match the bike. Page 2 for electrical connection says to use the newly bought connector for 2011 and later Dyna. So I'm pulling my hair out and asking for help on here.

The next paragraph starts 2009-2013 Road King and others so I never read it. This paragraph includes instructions for 2006-2011 Dyna models. These instructions gave proper instructions to hook up to her bike. So there are 2 sets of instructions for a 2011 Dyna. Odd?

Thanks for the help.

kd

Look at the manufacture date. It sounds like there was a running change in 2011.
KD

FSG

what is the -Jxxxxx number of the destructions ?