March 28, 2024, 10:56:24 AM

News:

Inner primary leak problem

Started by hogmandon, May 16, 2021, 10:41:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hogmandon

Had a leak on the inner primary around the clutch area on my 06 RG. Figured it was the seal so pulled it all apart and it didn't look like the seal was bad but was in there so I replaced the 2 seals cleaned everything and put it back together. All was good for the first ride but second ride it leaked again. I retorqued the outside case figuring the new gaskets had not seated right. Still leaked so now I am wondering if the bolts to tranny and engine are crush washers. They don't look like it and I never saw any thing in the manual about them so now I am stumped. I know it has to come apart again and it is not a big deal but don't know what else to look for. Any ideas would be much appreciated

kd

Transmission main shaft or shifter shaft seal?
KD

Hossamania

Quote from: kd on May 16, 2021, 12:04:19 PM
Transmission main shaft or shifter shaft seal?

Agreed, check that. It starts as a small spot on the floor after a ride, and eventually....

[attach=0]
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take away everything you have.

HogMike

May 16, 2021, 12:40:55 PM #3 Last Edit: May 16, 2021, 12:48:28 PM by HogMike
Quote from: hogmandon on May 16, 2021, 10:41:48 AM
Had a leak on the inner primary around the clutch area on my 06 RG. Figured it was the seal so pulled it all apart and it didn't look like the seal was bad but was in there so I replaced the 2 seals cleaned everything and put it back together. All was good for the first ride but second ride it leaked again. I retorqued the outside case figuring the new gaskets had not seated right. Still leaked so now I am wondering if the bolts to tranny and engine are crush washers. They don't look like it and I never saw any thing in the manual about them so now I am stumped. I know it has to come apart again and it is not a big deal but don't know what else to look for. Any ideas would be much appreciated

If you pulled the inner primary off, there are a bunch of seals: starter jackshaft, main shaft through the primary  (make sure that one is facing in!)
Bolts holding the inner case to the engine have sealing washers (red) under the heads, oring type gasket on the engine connection to the inner primary ,
Harley sells a kit with everything you need. Recommend the kit, as long as you're in there.
Trans shift shaft seal not included and is a pain replacing that if you don't have the special tools.
Your dealer can help with all that's needed.
Just changed a belt on a buddies bike yesterday and he bought the "kit"
Hope this helps
HOGMIKE
SoCal

hogmandon

May 16, 2021, 01:10:27 PM #4 Last Edit: May 16, 2021, 01:14:38 PM by hogmandon
I just changed the trann shaft seal and jackshaft seal. and O ring is new all other seals were new and dry. I have what look like plain steel washers on bolts to engine and tranny will check with dealer monday about washers with rubber seals on them thanks

Hossamania

Did you change the shifter shaft seal as well?
Clean that area with some brake cleaner, take it for a ride, check for leaks there.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take away everything you have.

HogMike

Check with your dealer IIRC Harley changed the primary around 09-10
You may have the older style for 06?
:nix:
HOGMIKE
SoCal

smoserx1

May 16, 2021, 04:07:51 PM #7 Last Edit: May 16, 2021, 04:30:38 PM by smoserx1
It is not this seal, is it?

[attach=0,msg1386214]

The seal you see here that looks like a copper ring just in front of the pulley nut is called the 5th gear - mainshaft seal and caused me grief figuring out where a leak was.  The leak can appear to be coming from behind the primary.  The IPB race has to come off to replace this.

Coyote

The inner primary case bolts should look like this for a 6 speed.  IIRC, you are suppose to replace them if pulled.

[attach=0,msg1386222]

HogMike

HOGMIKE
SoCal

hogmandon

I rebuilt the tranny last year and replace all seals when this started I had an extra set of primary seals so put them in. I didn't ever see bolts with seal on them so that is what I will pick up and replace now. I have pulled crank a few times and always wondered how those bolts never leaked. Now I know they must have seals on them that finally wore out, Guess it was just my dumb luck they never leaked till now. Have been working on this bike for 15 yrs and still leaning.
Thanks for the help.

Coyote

I think the bolt pic I posted will only apply to 6 speeds. If you have a 5 speed then I believe you have the non sealing bolt and you should have used silicone with it when you installed them.

kd

Quote from: Coyote on May 17, 2021, 05:33:07 AM
I think the bolt pic I posted will only apply to 6 speeds. If you have a 5 speed then I believe you have the non sealing bolt and you should have used silicone with it when you installed them.

:agree:
KD

HogMike

Again, check with the dealer. The bike I just worked on was a 2011. Your 2006 is a little different.
Some of the parts/seals/gaskets are the same, some are different!
Sorry for the "misinformation ".
:nix:
HOGMIKE
SoCal

Coyote

Pretty much everything is different from 5spd to 6spd. I thought 2006 was a 6spd but it is not. The earlier bolts used a bendable locking washer and they require you put some silicone on the underside before installing them. The inner and outer primary gaskets are different as well. Those inner primary bolts will leak if you don't silicone them in.

rigidthumper

And 5 speeds were notorious for shifter shaft seal leaks... If i ever have a 5 speed inner primary off for any reason, that shifter shaft seal gets replaced.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

04rkryder

If you replaced the shift shaft seal with a single lip seal, then replace with a double lip seal (Cometic C9259). Be sure to cover the splines on the shift shaft so as not to damage the seal.
You need to seal the underside of the bolts and locking washers with silicone. Be sure and clean everything good(surgical clean). Silicone won't stick to oil.

hogmandon

inner primary bolts for that yr are obsolete will use silicone or find some sealing washers from ace hardware

sandrooney

I don't know if the IPB seal is different on an 06 than on a 2010 but it looks like it should go one way but really goes the other way. Looks like it's in backwards. It says on the metal part of the seal oil side. If you don't get it correct it will leak. Please don't ask me how I know.
Patience is such a waste of time .

mkd

my 05 eglide had the aluminum crush washers holding the inner primary on. most holes were blind and i think one was open to the back. there is definately a do right way to these so that you don't keep chasing one leak and making another. If a guy done enough of them often enough you could get the the do's and dont's down and not make any mistakes. i used new crush washers and silicone sealant last time.

smoserx1

QuoteThe earlier bolts used a bendable locking washer and they require you put some silicone on the underside before installing them.

My bike (a 99 FLHT) uses those bendable locking washers (pn 33318-85) and that makes it very difficult to try and seal from the inside.  I have always applied a thin coat of RTV to the back side of the inner primary hole areas and had good luck, but I have also wondered if those bendable lock washers were even necessary.  Looking at Ronnie's site it appears H-D quit using them in 05.  They used a bolt 4086A and the next year a 4082 (both 5/16 - 18 X 3), one is fully threaded and one partially threaded and uses a plain washer.  Neither show the locking tabs.  I know said you have an 06 and it seems you could use an o'ring under the existing bolt heads just fine

hogmandon

I found the 3 long bolts at HD of Quantico and had the sent to Waugh in Orange Va. will be picking them up today, nice day for a ride in the country

KB

I have an 08 and there was a notice from the factory about damage to the gearbox housing adjacent to the main bearing that the seal mates with. It was only a fine straight line from manufacturing defect. Once polished out with sandpaper I had no more leaks in that area.
2008 110ci CVO Ultra 108/116
Andrews 57H