April 18, 2024, 02:59:28 PM

News:

1995 Softail

Started by dubepj, May 18, 2021, 12:11:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dubepj

May 18, 2021, 12:11:32 PM Last Edit: May 18, 2021, 12:18:53 PM by dubepj
Bike not running quite right so took carb apart.  Found a rip in the accelerator pump diaphragm.  Had a spare one so all back together now.  Starts good and squirts gas when I turn the throttle.  Raining and cold so didn't go for a ride. 
Found 175 main jet and 45 pilot jet.  It's a stock bike except for High flow air cleaner and slip on mufflers.
Are those jets about right for a stock 80 in. EVO?  Thanks all.
It's a California model if that makes any difference.

dubepj

May 18, 2021, 12:12:51 PM #1 Last Edit: May 18, 2021, 12:36:27 PM by dubepj
By the way idle screw is out 3 turns.  Also found a intake manifold mixture turbulator,  It's has small fins inside the manifold to help swirl the mixture.   Are these any good or just some type of black magic that doesn't help??

Hossamania

The 175 might be a little fat. 3 turns out also seems too rich running a 45 pilot, but the only way to tell is to get the bike warm, screw it in gently until the idle changes, screw it back out until the idle changes, set it in the middle. 1 1/2  to 2 turns is about what you're looking for.
How is your fuel mileage?
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

dubepj

My mileage was real good.  Was getting 50MPG but those are imperial gallons.  This is real good .  Other bikes I've had were getting a bit less but were heavier touring bikes.

Hossamania

If it's working, I wouldn't change it.

JW113

Ah yes, the Turbulator. What you have there my friend is a fancy name for a flow restriction. I can't recall the magazine now, but many years ago, somebody did a dyno test with, and without that thing installed. I think you can probably guess how it turned out...

Regarding mileage if you are getting 50 miles per imperial gallon, that is like 42mpg in the USA. Is that with, or without the windscreen, and at what speed? I get 50mpg (US gallons) with my '92, no windscreen, and 75mph.

As Hoss said, if it's running good and you're happy with it, leave it be.

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

Hossamania

Interesting about the Turbulator, Durwood has used an X-wing in a lot of his Dyno runs, basically the same thing, and has found it noticeably helps the low end power. It does restrict top end slightly, but if I remember right, they are mostly stock bikes with cams (M8s), and most don't ride in the top end all the time.

kd

Quote from: Hossamania on May 18, 2021, 07:37:21 PM
Interesting about the Turbulator, Durwood has used an X-wing in a lot of his Dyno runs, basically the same thing, and has found it noticeably helps the low end power. It does restrict top end slightly, but if I remember right, they are mostly stock bikes with cams (M8s), and most don't ride in the top end all the time.

It does the opposite to the turbulator.  It straightens the flow ahead of the manifold.  HPI was fluting their throttle body before the throttle body butterfly for the same reason and effect.  Those are both proven to be beneficial on dyno tests.
KD

Hossamania

Quote from: kd on May 18, 2021, 08:49:28 PM
Quote from: Hossamania on May 18, 2021, 07:37:21 PM

It does the opposite to the turbulator.  It straightens the flow ahead of the manifold.  HPI was fluting their throttle body before the throttle body butterfly for the same reason and effect.  Those are both proven to be beneficial on dyno tests.

Thanks for straightening me out!