April 16, 2024, 03:29:47 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Primary Chain Tensioners

Started by Thermodyne, May 19, 2021, 04:41:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thermodyne

Anyone have any insight on a M8 primary chain tensioner upgrade for an FLTxx?

ziggy24

I tried the Hayden spring loaded one, worked oh but noisy when cold. Wasn't to keen about having to shim the bracket to the primary case.  Went to a baker, bullet proof construction but  needs to be periodically adjusted., and also noisy. I now have this one. Works good.

http://sohotbikes.com/products.html

Thermodyne

I put a Man O War comp on it, and the chain is slapping like crazy with the oem tensioner.  Actually hitting the webs on the outer primary cover at times.

There is a lot of give in the M8 tensioner, between the springs under the shoe and the slack as the ratchet takes a set. 

It seriously sounds like its going to tear something off. 

While I had it running with the outer off, I used a screw drive to add some load to the tensioner, and the chain calmed right down.   

goblue90

May 21, 2021, 08:14:00 PM #3 Last Edit: May 21, 2021, 08:21:04 PM by goblue90
Quote from: Thermodyne on May 20, 2021, 09:55:01 AM
I put a Man O War comp on it, and the chain is slapping like crazy with the oem tensioner.  Actually hitting the webs on the outer primary cover at times.

There is a lot of give in the M8 tensioner, between the springs under the shoe and the slack as the ratchet takes a set. 

While I had it running with the outer off, I used a screw drive to add some load to the tensioner, and the chain calmed right down.   

I'm experiencing the same after getting the DH MOW installed.  Here's a video with the primary cover off.

https://youtu.be/IngozZM-k0o

I'm opting for the PSR manual tensioner.
https://psr-usa.com/primary-chain-tensioner-for-harley.html#.YKh4TPf3bDs

Nastytls

Why would the MOW change the attitude of the chain?  :scratch:

Thermodyne

Quote from: goblue90 on May 21, 2021, 08:14:00 PM

I'm experiencing the same after getting the DH MOW installed.  Here's a video with the primary cover off.

https://youtu.be/IngozZM-k0o

I'm opting for the PSR manual tensioner.
https://psr-usa.com/primary-chain-tensioner-for-harley.html#.YKh4TPf3bDs

Exactly what I'm experiencing!

PSR tensioner just arrived in the mail, so I'll be installing that later today.  Instructions from D/H are to set it at 1/2 inch slack on the loose side of the chain and report back to them. 

Over the weekend I played with the auto tensioner ratchet to see if I could calm it down.  It has .004 runout on the crank, so I found the tight spot in the chain, then manually set the ratchet to were all the slack was used up.  Including the damper springs under the shoe.  Marked it, then after releasing it, reset it to one tooth less tight.  ( I could not get it to back off just one tooth.)  That chilled the chain out, but the chain is way to tight, no way the tensioner shoe would last 2000 miles like that.

goblue90

Exactly what I'm experiencing!

PSR tensioner just arrived in the mail, so I'll be installing that later today.  Instructions from D/H are to set it at 1/2 inch slack on the loose side of the chain and report back to them. 

Over the weekend I played with the auto tensioner ratchet to see if I could calm it down.  It has .004 runout on the crank, so I found the tight spot in the chain, then manually set the ratchet to were all the slack was used up.  Including the damper springs under the shoe.  Marked it, then after releasing it, reset it to one tooth less tight.  ( I could not get it to back off just one tooth.)  That chilled the chain out, but the chain is way to tight, no way the tensioner shoe would last 2000 miles like that.

Let us know how the PSR works out for you.  I've ridden ~100 miles since installing this tensioner and haven't had any issues or abnormal sounds from the primary. 

Thermodyne

The PSR tensioner and setting the slack to 1/2 (as per D/H instructions) stopped the slap.  But it has some chain whine now.  I may have to back it off some.  I'm going to run it a little, to loosen the comp up first.

goblue90

Quote from: Thermodyne on May 25, 2021, 09:15:57 AM
The PSR tensioner and setting the slack to 1/2 (as per D/H instructions) stopped the slap.  But it has some chain whine now.  I may have to back it off some.  I'm going to run it a little, to loosen the comp up first.

If you adjust it 1/2" from the loose spot, then the slack at the tight spot is going to be less and the chain could be too tight.  I made my adjustment from the tight spot and am getting no whine from my chain.

Thermodyne

I did it the way DH wanted it done.  And yes it is tighter on the tight side, but still has some slack.

NHBagger

Please keep us updated on the new tensioner. I'm running a DH comp in my 14 Tri Glide with a Bandit clutch and a Baker tensioner. The Baker unit has always been noisy. Shopping for a quieter replacement. Was going to try the Vulcan unit but I guess they are not making them anymore.

goblue90

I've gone ~ 450 miles with the new PSR manual tensioner and haven't had any issues.  No clunking, knocking or other weird noises from the primary!

klammer76

Question, why not do as others have done here with their twin cams, set the tension on the auto adjuster, mark it, remove and spot weld it, Reinstall? There was a thread on htt a few years ago about doing that.

NHBagger

My mechanic tried the PSR and claims it wore out in 1000 miles.

goblue90

Quote from: NHBagger on June 14, 2021, 04:34:50 PM
My mechanic tried the PSR and claims it wore out in 1000 miles.

Good to know.  I couldn't find any reviews on these but saw a couple youtube videos where the PSR manual adjuster was being used with no issues.  I have over 700 miles with the PSR installed so we'll see!

ironworker40

Quote from: Thermodyne on May 26, 2021, 11:19:46 AMI did it the way DH wanted it done.  And yes it is tighter on the tight side, but still has some slack.

Therm  how did the PSR adjuster work out? How is the shoe wear?

Reddog74usa

Don't  know if they make one for the M8 but think it may be the same as the later unit on the twin cams. Look up the "Bump stop" from evolution industries. Uses the OEM adjuster but just keeps it from getting tight. Just looked on the site and it says for 07 and later big twins so give em a call.

https://www.evolution-industries.com/shop/harley-davidson-motorcycle-parts/motorcycle-tools-accessories/the-chain-adjuster-bump-stop/
RIDE IT LIKE YA STOLE IT

ironworker40