April 20, 2024, 01:38:23 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

2019 Road Glide Trans wont goto 2nd gear

Started by Burch, May 20, 2021, 09:48:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Burch

Hello All,

So after having some health issues the last two years, I am getting back on track and feeling good.

I say that as the primary reason my 2019 RGS just turned 2000 miles (and out of warranty by 3 months)....and now I have an motorcycle issue.

I rode to work this AM, and missed 2nd gear twice. Went from 1st to neutral, went to 2nd after second try.

Then it sat 4 hours and I went to lunch. Now I notice that about 80-90% of the time I try to shift from 1st to 2nd it ends up in neutral and takes 2 to maybe 4 attempts to get into second. All the other gears seem fine.

I have not checked the fluids yet. I read something about "oil transfer" and primary "vents"??

Any ideas would be much appreciated!

Thanks in advance,

Burch

So....now that I am feeling like my old self and planned on getting back on the HD...it seems like I have a problem.
Burch

ziggy24

sounds like a bent shift fork, or it needs a shift drum adjustment. A one gear issue would have nothing to do fluid, unless of course the transmission is bone dry, in which case you have all kinds of issues.

Burch

Thanks for the response :up:

The trans was low and I figured out I have the oil transfer issue that happens on these bikes from time to time.

Trans fluid low, primary fluid high.
Burch

flh canuck

Easy fix for the trans fluid transfer is installation of the Primary case vent. I'm not sure if they install them for no charge if bike is out of warranty but the kit is only 30 bucks or so and installation takes about an hour.
2018 Ultra Limited. Back in black!

Burch

May 26, 2021, 06:12:35 PM #4 Last Edit: May 26, 2021, 06:22:18 PM by Burch
Quote from: flh canuck on May 25, 2021, 06:11:12 PM
Easy fix for the trans fluid transfer is installation of the Primary case vent. I'm not sure if they install them for no charge if bike is out of warranty but the kit is only 30 bucks or so and installation takes about an hour.

Thanks! :up:

Yes, I read about the vent and watched videos. Bought the kit last Saturday...

Oh well, just learning more about the bike...
Burch

road-dawgs1

Don't forget to also change your clutch and brake fluid now that the scoot is two years old.
'24 FLTRX Sharkskin blue