Inner primary leak on 2014 124 with 10000 miles?????

Started by guesscrazy, May 22, 2021, 07:55:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

guesscrazy

Looks like my 124 is leaking from behind the inner primary. Leaking oil not tranny fluid since I have shockproof and would see the color. Haven't pulled it apart yet but should I go ahead and order an S&S race since I will have it apart even if the race hasn't moved? I understand that bigger build can move the race. Its a 2014 with a "mild" 124 build. I beat on it so could I have caused this or am I just lucky?
2014 Ultra Limited. 124 S&S kit , V&H Powerduals .Reinharts and alot or other do

C-Cat

Happened to me also. This is what I used. I have them on both of my bikes.
https://catalog.zodiac.nl/en/08-primary/primary-housing-covers/s-s-inner-primary-bearing-race-2528
124ci. 07 Streetbob 161/145
110ci. '11 Roadglide  129/127

smoserx1

Well since you use shockproof you know the shifter shaft, the large transmission seal, quad ring (if your bike uses one) and 5th (maybe 6th) gear main shaft seal are OK otherwise you would see color from leaking transmission lube.  The first time I pulled my IPB race the bike has 75K on it and it had not walked.  The next two times it walked a little and the last time it walked badly into the 5th gear main shaft seal.  It took 200K miles to reach this point (and I finally installed an S&S race then), so it does seem the more times a race is installed and removed the more likely it is to walk.  That makes sense to me as you probably wear the mainshaft a little during removal/installation, and some races might have looser tolerance which could make it walk easier (I always used a new one).  I would probably leave it alone if there is room to get the horseshoe part of the remover behind the race and replace it with the S&S after you remove the OEM one when needed.  Your leak appears to be from the primary and not the transmission so no need to remove pulley or race now just to fix the leak.

les

Your transmission mainshaft should already have a lip that stops the stock race from moving in.  My 2011 Road King did, so guessing your 2014 does.  I'm thinking that all the cruise drive trannys have the mainshaft that has the lip.

Coyote

Quote from: les on May 24, 2021, 08:57:54 AM
Your transmission mainshaft should already have a lip that stops the stock race from moving in.  My 2011 Road King did, so guessing your 2014 does.  I'm thinking that all the cruise drive trannys have the mainshaft that has the lip.

I don't think so. There's nothing keeping the race from walking in on any 6spd I've seen.

les

2011 Touring Service Manual, Page 5-12:

Installation:

Step 1:  "See Figure 5-23. Slide bearing inner race (1) onto main-shaft."

"Note:  Extension shaft has left-handed threads."

Step 5:  "Tighten nut (6) while holding extension shaft stationary with wrench on flats (3) at end of screw threads.  Press race onto shaft until edge of race contacts step on shaft."

les

I used the term "lip" in my previous posting, but should have used the term "step".  Sorry.

Coyote

They are just telling you when to stop pressing on the race. There is nothing to keep the race in place (if you're using a stock race)

les

Quote from: Coyote on May 24, 2021, 09:35:50 AM
They are just telling you when to stop pressing on the race. There is nothing to keep the race in place (if you're using a stock race)

When I've done this first hand on my 2011, I've experienced the "step" on the main-shaft.  It brings the race to a stop when you're pressing it in.  It's different on the five speed where the SM tells you to leave a .100" gap between the race and the main drive gear, because the five speeds don't have this "step".

Ohio HD

If there were a step on the six speed to stop the race. Why do they walk inward anyway? I'll take a photo of a six speed shaft later. No stop that I recall.

les

No need for a picture.  But now I'm scratching my head about what I've seen and what's in the SM.

Hybredhog

I was chasing a leak from my inner primary for a while on my '02 fxdxt with a 124", and it was driving me crazy when it only leaked on hard runs & never as a 95". I've done the S&S race, years ago, along with other mods. I eventually was dinking around with an air dart checking pressures & breathing, It would only leak primary fluid, and not the shock proof. when I pressured up the primary, it was barely getting out the tranny vent, and when I tried blowing though just the main shaft with the pushrod in it, it was laboring. So I kind of came to the conclusion that the primary was pressurizing under heavy loads/heat, due to the thick shock proof. My solution was 2 fold, a small vent hole/ tube into a catch can up by the starter shaft bendix area to keep it from getting splashed by the ring gear. Also I grounded a light flat the length of the clutch push rod to allow more venting room (mill & grinding stone slowly). It's been working since. Some one was making a seal or something for the pushrod, I felt that wouldn't work in my case?
'01 FXDXT, '99 FXDL/XRD, '76 FLH

Coyote

This pic is from on 07 bike (6spd). You can see that the main shaft is tapered up but the OEM race is not tapered so it can walk inwards. On my 2011 Ultra, I had to dremel cut and chisel the race off after it walked in.

FSG

Quote from: les on May 24, 2021, 09:42:50 AM
Quote from: Coyote on May 24, 2021, 09:35:50 AM

When I've done this first hand on my 2011, I've experienced the "step" on the main-shaft.  It brings the race to a stop when you're pressing it in.  It's different on the five speed where the SM tells you to leave a .100" gap between the race and the main drive gear, because the five speeds don't have this "step".

you're not dreaming   :SM:   

The HD released a Kit to upgrade the 06's & '07s to the latest mainshaft used in '08 and later trannies, there is a slight step,  the kit came out around '09/'10 or so.

https://harleytechtalk.com/htt/index.php/topic,30244.msg306607.html#msg306607

https://harleytechtalk.com/htt/index.php/topic,91403.msg1052907.html#msg1052907

Coyote

I wonder when they actually started using it. The HD SIP parts list for a 2011 touring bike shows this race is used.

34091-08   BEARING, inner race

I have some of those in my shop supplies and it has no lip on it. I have a new one, in the bag, I can take a pic of.

Or is the step behind the race?

Coyote

les

So, let's get back to guesscrazy's situation...

When you take the left side of your bike off, you'll be able to (if you look closely) see if your main-shaft has a step.  If it does, then the OEM race should work for you just fine.  It did on my 124".

Ohio HD

So the memory is the first thing to go. I can't remember what's second....

This 2013 transmission does have a step. My two earlier six speeds do not.

https://harleytechtalk.com/htt/index.php/topic,107243.msg1275468.html#msg1275468

C-Cat

2011 Road Glide no step. That's a Stock Harley race, the box is what replaced it.
124ci. 07 Streetbob 161/145
110ci. '11 Roadglide  129/127

FSG

Quote from: C-Cat on May 26, 2021, 05:32:04 PM
2011 Road Glide no step

the STEP referred to is on the transmission mainshaft

the S&S Races have a taper on their inside at one end, it will only go on to the mainshaft one way and it's the taper on the mainshaft that stops them going on too far

the HD Race has no taper and on later mainshafts it's the step that stops them walking

Coyote

Yes, that's the main shaft I've always seen and every HD race can walk on it. If there's something HD came out with later, I've not seen it.   :nix:

guesscrazy

Got my inner primary gasket kit order, a Jims tool and S&S race coming. Will break it down Thursday and should be riding next weekend if that all it needs. I did this job in 2007 on my 2001 RoadKing but forgot the details.
2014 Ultra Limited. 124 S&S kit , V&H Powerduals .Reinharts and alot or other do

jmorton10

The race definitely walked on the stock 6 speed in my 2007 RK. That was no big deal as the tranny was blown up anyway.

Now, my current setup is a Baker Grudgebox 6 sp. with the S&S race.

~John
HC 124", Dragula, Pingel air shift W/Dyna Shift Minder & onboard compressor, NOS

FSG