April 25, 2024, 04:43:48 AM

News:

flhx won't start

Started by roadkingdresser, May 23, 2021, 02:26:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadkingdresser

Got a 2014 flhx when I push the starter button the lights goes out and the fuel pump sounds like it runs.New battery, changed the relay in the fuse box,checked the fuses same thing. Ran a jumper wire from the starter post to the solenoid on the starter, will fire right up and run. Anybody ever run into this problem? Thanks.
roadkingdresser

Scotty

2014 Touring you will need to check for codes as the BCM gets the signal from the start switch and from there controls the starter motor. Somewhere between the switch and the BCM there is a problem or even possibly the BCM or switch itself has taken a dump.
You need the Electrical Diagnostics Manual to work on those models at the very least.

roadkingdresser

I ran the codes and the bcm code was 62121. Do they have a lot of trouble with the bcm? Nothing else shows a code. Thanks .
roadkingdresser

Ohio HD

Are you sure that's not B2121?

I'd check the circuit before and after the push button, and the push button. It could also be the BCM.

Scotty

DTC B2121

POSSIBLE CAUSES
Open in starter circuit
Open in starter solenoid

Fugawee

Pull the small wire off the starter.
Attach a Volt/Ohm meter lead to the wire.  Attach the other Volt/Ohm lead to a good ground.  Put the Meter on DC Volts.
Or, use a Test Light/Probe to ground.
For safety's sake...Ensure that the Bike is in Neutral.
Turn On Ignition.  Put Engine button "On".
Press the Start Button.  You should see deflection on the Volt/Ohm meter, showing Voltage of 11+ Volts, or the Test Light/Probe should light.
I would use a Meter for a more accurate reading of Voltage.
If You don't see anything...could be a bad Start Button, the Wiring from the Start Button to the Starter, something in the Right Side Controls, or something deeper into the Electrical System.

Handlebars or Controls recently worked on or replaced? 

Scotty

Quote from: Fugawee on May 23, 2021, 06:07:35 PM
could be a bad Start Button, the Wiring from the Start Button to the Starter, something in the Right Side Controls, or something deeper into the Electrical System.
Handlebars or Controls recently worked on or replaced?

Start button is CAN signal on these bikes and goes to the BCM which sends voltage to the starter solenoid. Start switch is not like older bikes and is part of the right hand control module which is an intergrated unit within the RH & LH controls.
If he removes the wire to the starter solenoid which is a red/black wire and checks for 12v at that wire when start button pressed then it's a bad solenoid but his first post said he bypassed that wire and start motor worked so solenoid sounds good.
So if no voltage at the red/black wire it means either a faulty wire or BCM failed or RHS control module failed.

roadkingdresser

Thanks Scotty, will get into it again in the morning. Thanks for all the reply's from everyone.
roadkingdresser

roadkingdresser

Could be b2121 having trouble with my glasses. My friend that owns the bike said it made a loud cracking noise when he tried to start it. That's when he checked the battery cables and they were corroded, he cleaned the cables and put a new battery in. Hasn't started since, unless jumped from battery post to solenoid.
roadkingdresser

roadkingdresser

Well went with the advice i got from everybody, plus the advice i got from a local hd tech. Ordered a bcm from Ronnies hd,only place had one in stock. Got it today and fired right up. Thanks to all the help especially from Scotty for all the help. If i would of spent the money on my own bike and it didn't work, I could of chalked it up as a lesson learnt. But spending a friends money and it didn't work, how do you explain to him, i just spent $2oo+ and it didn't work. Thanks for the help!
roadkingdresser

Scotty

roadkingdresser

Put the bcm in and the bike fired up. Buddy came and picked it up. When he got home he called and said the little red light came on in the dash.He got the codes from the bcm-b2141. He found out no brake light, checked the bulb, was ok. He's not real mechanical inclined, but he did go on u-tube and found it was for the brake lite. He was on his way to Atlanta  in his truck. A friend called him and told him someone asked if he had an FP3 on the bike. He said when you change the battery out you have to do the download again,if not it will affect some the things on the bike. No brake lights and the flasher in the dash for the t/s flashes fast-not the t/s bulbs.Any truth to this or no? Thanks
roadkingdresser

Scotty

b2141 is Left front turn signal output open nothing to do with brake light.