April 25, 2024, 02:05:15 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Mismatched Tires

Started by Sinker, May 25, 2021, 05:41:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sinker

I was away from home last weekend and had an issue with my front tire that caused me to replace it with what the shop I went to had, a Dunlop American Elite. The back tire was replaced about 1,000 miles ago with the same standard Dunlop that came with the bike originally.  Other than knowing in my own mind that there are 2 different tires on the bike are there any other drawbacks I should be worried about?

Thanks/Scott

motorhogman

I've had a D402 on the front and Michelin Commander II on he rear twice now.. Feel no difference in handling, ride or anything.  01 FLHT
where's the points and condenser ?<br />Tom / aka motor

fbn ent

On the bikes we ride, nope. On, say an R6 doing doing 150 on wet pavement in twisties?   :idunno:
'02 FLTRI - 103" / '84 FLH - 88"<br />Hinton, Alberta

calif phil

No worries at all, you will be fine, the American Elite is a great tire.

RKRuss

I've been running non-matching tyres on the Road King for the last 20 years or so!

scott7d

From here on out if I were you, I'd just stick with the American Elites. I got 30,000 from the front and almost that much from the rear on my last set. Even when riding aggressively I never feel they are going to let go. As mentioned, a fantastic all around tire.
Scott Matlock - Bloomington, IN
Iron Butt Rider #72408 - Facebook: The Hoosier Cruiser

fleetmechanic

:agree:  And you don't have to pay HD dealer prices for them like the OEM Dunlop models.

PoorUB

Quote from: Sinker on May 25, 2021, 05:41:41 AMare there any other drawbacks I should be worried about?

Thanks/Scott

Yep, why you have been paying 1-1/2 times the price for a tire at the dealer that isn't as good as the American Elite! :potstir:
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

tomcat64

We will not put a bike on the floor with mismatched tires.

kd

Tom, do you have a reason or been given a reason to worry about mixing tire brands.  I get the radial / bias bit but can't grasp the matching manufacturer thing.  One company may have a front design you find works well and the rear of another company out handles or out performs it's mate.
KD

Hossamania

Quote from: tomcat64 on May 27, 2021, 01:45:13 PM
We will not put a bike on the floor with mismatched tires.

I'm sure it makes it easier to sell, one less question to deal with, or item the potential buyer can use as a negotiating tool.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

RKRuss

Quote from: kd on May 27, 2021, 02:04:07 PM
Tom, do you have a reason or been given a reason to worry about mixing tire brands.  I get the radial / bias bit but can't grasp the matching manufacturer thing.  One company may have a front design you find works well and the rear of another company out handles or out performs it's mate.

Even the radial/bias hoodoo has no factual basis as far as I'm concerned. My 2014 Victory Cross Country Tour left the factory shod with a radial rear and bias ply front and it handled beautifully.

I tend to believe that we overthink tyre performance on what are essentially low performance cruiser type motorcycles.