March 28, 2024, 11:22:19 PM

News:

Mainshaft seal leak

Started by IvyMan69, May 25, 2021, 08:16:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IvyMan69

I have a 2006 ultra that i have replaced, the shift seal, main seal, quad seal, spacer, primary seal bearing and race. The main shaft seal continues to leak after being replaced 3 times in as many weeks. It only leaks while driving and stops dripping after about 10 minutes after stopping and will remain dry  all night. Anyone have an idea to stop this?

kd

KD

Scotty

Quote from: IvyMan69 on May 25, 2021, 08:16:44 PM
I have a 2006 ultra that i have replaced, the shift seal, main seal, quad seal, spacer, primary seal bearing and race. The main shaft seal continues to leak after being replaced 3 times in as many weeks. It only leaks while driving and stops dripping after about 10 minutes after stopping and will remain dry  all night. Anyone have an idea to stop this?

Are you sure it's the mainshaft seal (12067B) and not the 5th gear seal (12035B)? No mention that you replaced the 5th gear seal.
It tends to leak when the bike is ridden and stops when the bike stops.

IvyMan69

I did replace the 5th gear seal and it shows no oil on the drive belt pulley. When you tear is down you can see where ii is leaking at the main shaft seal at the spacer contact area.

IvyMan69

pendo31

Did you inspect the spacer, sometimes the seal wears a groove in it and can cause a leak. Also when replacing the quad seal make sure that it's not twisted when installed.
East Providence, RI

rigidthumper

Any radial/lateral movement in the main shaft, or main drive gear? If so, time to pull the main drive gear, replace the inner bearings (and add a spacer), new trap door bearings, and while you're there,  inspect the shaft for runout/nicks/wear. All new seals/bearings is a PITA, but it beats doing it for the fifth time...
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

IvyMan69

So true! No movement that I could detect. No metal on the magnet. Bike would leave a drop or two on the ground before I replaced the belt so thought I would replace seals while I was in that deep. Big mistake trying to fix what was not broke too bad.

rigidthumper

Clean the area well, spray on talc powder ( like Desinex) so there's a light coat. That'll help pinpoint the failure.  Use a black light, after a short ride, to precisely locate where the fluid is coming from. 
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

IvyMan69

Well its just going to have to drip for now. We are leaving on a 5000 mile trip on Monday and will just monitor the trans level everyday. Thanks for the suggestions.

RoadKingKohn

I was having this same problem with the 12035B seal put in 3 with the JIMS tool.  Switched to the 12035. So far so it is working.  I am planning on getting some BlueDevil Rear Main Sealer just to make sure it stops.

KB

There is a defect notice re the sealing surface for the seal outside the main gearbox bearing. I had an ongoing leak until I found that notice. They had machining issues and sometimes in the housing there is a small grove so the seal will leak. Had to sandpaper it out. No more leaks.
2008 110ci CVO Ultra 108/116
Andrews 57H

IvyMan69

Thanks for the tips, I will try them this winter when riding season is over. We returned from the 5800 mile trip qnd it still has a drip.