March 28, 2024, 10:50:42 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Time for a new battery

Started by motorhogman, June 02, 2021, 07:57:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

motorhogman

3 years.. Time for a new battery.  I was going to replace it with another Duracell. Batts and bulbs is out of stock..

Found this on Battery Mart.  Specs look good.. Price is right..

Anyone tried one of these..

Just got a better look at the terminals.. I have had that kind of terminal crack on an Interstate battery before.. I've avoided them since. 

Link
where's the points and condenser ?<br />Tom / aka motor

tc1550

not bad but batt terminal ends are not flush mount ive had issues loosening bolts with tenders dont like using those shims and spacers

Jim Bronson

I recently installed a Mega Crank in my 2015 RK, and it cranks great. I ran some quick errands the other day where I needed to start several times after short rides. I think it is the best battery I've used in the RK. Only time will tell how long it will last.
Going down that long, lonesome highway. Gonna live life my way.

Big Cahuna

I bought that same Battery in September. It cranks the bike over in 40 degree temps after sitting in a cold garage , like it's already warmed up. The last battery I bought from them lasted me 6 years. Best deal around.,,,

motorhogman

Quote from: tc1550 on June 02, 2021, 08:16:52 AM
not bad but batt terminal ends are not flush mount ive had issues loosening bolts with tenders dont like using those shims and spacers

Thanx,

The not mounting flush part doesn't bother me. The Duracell batteries I have been using don't mount flush. With the spacer in place I have no issue with the tender terminals.  I'm just a little gun shy of those table top terminals.. 

Batteries are not easy to come by here. Dealer doesn't even have one.. Or.. they are saving what they have for their shop..

I think I may just buy that battery.. For the money if it lasts 2 years it wont be so bad. Only getting 3 years out of batteries that coast almost 2 X that.

motorhogman

Thanx for the reviews.. I'm going to order one..

ultrafxr

Quote from: Big Cahuna on June 02, 2021, 09:24:51 AM
I bought that same Battery in September. It cranks the bike over in 40 degree temps after sitting in a cold garage , like it's already warmed up. The last battery I bought from them lasted me 6 years. Best deal around.,,,
I've had this battery on a couple different bikes.  When my 2020 need a new on I'll most likely go back to this. 

motorhogman

Thanx again for the reviews.  I just ordered one.. free shipping and No sales tax.. 

jsachs1

Are the posts solid, or hollow with a nut that slides in ?
John

motorhogman

Quote from: jsachs1 on June 02, 2021, 01:56:38 PM
Are the posts solid, or hollow with a nut that slides in ?
John

I call them table top posts. They look to be hollow from the pics. they also look to have threaded holes. The Interstate one I had issue with used a nut inside the table top..  I have had an issue with them cracking on an Interstate battery years ago.  I'm going to take a gamble and see for the price.. Just have to make sure there is no tension on the cables. 

twincamzz

For anyone else looking for a battery, Lowe's carries the Deka ETX30LA , currently offered for 106.00
not all who wander are lost...

smoserx1

I'm sure you will be fine.  My Duracell got replaced this past Sept, 4 years and 2 months old and it was getting mighty weak.  I started to order a Deka but ended up getting a Yuasa GYZ series.  It has those terminals you were talking about where you slip a nut inside the terminal, but the terminals do sit flush to the case.  No more of those "D shaped" spacers.  The battery out of the box measured over 12.9 volts, which is the highest I have seen yet, but 6 months later it cranks no better than the Duracell (which really was OK).  I still get the occasional starter stall I have been getting on my bike for as long as I can remember.  Just let off that button and it always goes over the hump the second time.  Good luck with your battery.

kd

You don't say what you are cranking over but you may be surprised if you upsize your main cables.  It's a world of difference. You can buy them custom made with the extra leads for a reasonable cost from companies like Taylor Made that use quality wire, insulation and ends.  Phil would probably steer you in the right direction and save you a bit too.
KD

bump

My shovelhead was license plate and a battery every year without fail. Got one of those AGM batteries and it has lasted 5 or 6 years. Way longer than lead acid ever did. License plate on it is vintage 1978, $23 for regular plate $30 for vintage plate. Have had vintage plate on it since 2009.

motorhogman

Quote from: kd on June 02, 2021, 04:50:54 PM
You don't say what you are cranking over but you may be surprised if you upsize your main cables.  It's a world of difference. You can buy them custom made with the extra leads for a reasonable cost from companies like Taylor Made that use quality wire, insulation and ends.  Phil would probably steer you in the right direction and save you a bit too.

01 FLHT stock box.. Just removed all the battery cables and ground wires, polished them up with a dremmel wire wheel. No sign of corrosion visible. 

When these Duracells hit 3 years I get the hot soak issue, Replace the battery and cured for 3 more years.  The 1st OEM battery went about 5 years before that happened. Put a digital multi meter on the terminals. Duplicate the hot soak condition and voltage drops to 8.80 from 13.04. 

motorhogman

Quote from: smoserx1 on June 02, 2021, 04:13:47 PM
I'm sure you will be fine.  My Duracell got replaced this past Sept, 4 years and 2 months old and it was getting mighty weak.  I started to order a Deka but ended up getting a Yuasa GYZ series.  It has those terminals you were talking about where you slip a nut inside the terminal, but the terminals do sit flush to the case.  No more of those "D shaped" spacers.  The battery out of the box measured over 12.9 volts, which is the highest I have seen yet, but 6 months later it cranks no better than the Duracell (which really was OK).  I still get the occasional starter stall I have been getting on my bike for as long as I can remember.  Just let off that button and it always goes over the hump the second time.  Good luck with your battery.

WOW  I don't believe I've ever seen a new battery out of the box with 12.9  That's excellent. My experience with Duracell is they spin the engine over great and then right about 3 years they have a tough time on a hot day like when just shutting down long enough to gas up.
I could probably get another year out of this battery. Thing is I don't like putting that strain on a starter motor.  Then there's the 6 year old Duracell in my lawn tractor that came out of the bike 3 years ago that's getting weak, So this battery will go in there and most likely go another 3 years..

Thanks for the good luck... I've never bought a battery this inexpensive before for this bike.

motorhogman

Quote from: twincamzz on June 02, 2021, 03:52:29 PM
For anyone else looking for a battery, Lowe's carries the Deka ETX30LA , currently offered for 106.00

Lowes ?  as in Lowes home improvement store ?   

twincamzz

Quote from: motorhogman on June 03, 2021, 08:09:39 AM

Yes, that Lowe's. I was surprised too !
not all who wander are lost...

motorhogman

June 03, 2021, 10:31:34 AM #18 Last Edit: June 03, 2021, 11:46:09 AM by motorhogman
Quote from: twincamzz on June 03, 2021, 08:30:54 AM
Quote from: motorhogman on June 03, 2021, 08:09:39 AM

Yes, that Lowe's. I was surprised too !

Good info.. I just looked.. My local store won't have any until June 17th.. It is a 28 AH battery not a 30 AH. I don't think that makes a lot of difference. The OEM spec for my bike is actually 28 AH..

smoserx1

QuoteGood info.. I just looked.. My local store won't have any until June 17th.. It is a 28 AH battery not a 30 AH. I don't think that makes a lot of difference. The OEM pec for my bike is actually 28 AH..

Yea I think you order them online and they will ship it to a store for free.  I'm pretty sure that The DEKA battery and the Duracell both of us had are the same (both made by East Penn) who did (maybe does???) make H-D branded units.  The Duracell was good... I got 4 years and 2 months.  The only other one that lasted 4+ years was an H-D branded one and it totally failed suddenly and left me stranded.

motorhogman

Quote from: smoserx1 on June 03, 2021, 11:01:29 AM
QuoteGood info.. I just looked.. My local store won't have any until June 17th.. It is a 28 AH battery not a 30 AH. I don't think that makes a lot of difference. The OEM pec for my bike is actually 28 AH..

Yea I think you order them online and they will ship it to a store for free.  I'm pretty sure that The DEKA battery and the Duracell both of us had are the same (both made by East Penn) who did (maybe does???) make H-D branded units.  The Duracell was good... I got 4 years and 2 months.  The only other one that lasted 4+ years was an H-D branded one and it totally failed suddenly and left me stranded.

Yes.. order on line and pick up.. I have no complaints about the Duracell other than they don't have one in stock.. Yep.. The original battery in my bike went 5 years. Never even used a tender on it. That was up in MA which meant a lot of time sitting during the winter months.. I don't believe any of them ( AGM) are of the same quality they were 20 years ago.

Fugawee

On the subject of batteries...a Buddy of Mine just stopped by to say Hello on His 04' Fatboy.  He went to move His Bike in My driveway, hit the start button, and got the dreaded click click click click click.  He's pissed.  The battery was bought 26 months ago at Batteries Plus Bulbs, with a 24 month warranty.  He called them and explained the situation.  They said to bring it in, and they will replace it...no questions asked.  It's a Duracell AGM.  His charging system is OK...so just waiting for His smilin' face to come back with it.  The BS seems to never end.

smoserx1

:agree:
I can relate to that.  2 AGMs I had died like that (and neither of mine would even make the click).  One was over 4 years old, one only about a month old.  Neither showed any signs of distress before complete failure.

motorhogman

Update.. After a mess up with Fed Ex that turned 2 day shipping into 5 days I got my new MEGA CRANK battery..

Out of the box, best standing voltage I've ever seen. 12.92  Mfg about 2 months ago from the tag.

Put it on my Viking charger maintainer and when I went back to look at it an hour later it was fully charged and floating at 13.3 V

Went to town a little bit ago made a gas stop and 2 more and she spins over like the plugs are out of it.. Almost 90 degrees out, several red lights and not a hint of a hot soak..

440 CCA The post look much improved over the Interstate one I had them crack on. They are steel on this battery. The Interstate were lead..

$105.00 to my door. I was about to buy another Duracell for about $180.00 with tax plus an 80 mi round trip to get it.  Luckily they were out of stock LOL.

Thanks much to those who had experience with this battery. Time will tell how good it is but it's out of the barn like a winner.

thumpr54

Last couple of batteries I needed came from Calif Phil...on this site.....have to be a hell of a deal to beat him...and they show up in just a  few days.... :up: :SM:   never had to deal with any warranty issues so I can't speak to that...
growing old is mandatory-growing up is optional
355 AMS(TAC)DMAFB 73-76 VFW6774