April 28, 2024, 02:16:46 AM

News:

Cuts out on bumps

Started by fleetmechanic, June 29, 2021, 01:56:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fleetmechanic

June 29, 2021, 01:56:12 PM Last Edit: June 29, 2021, 02:29:03 PM by fleetmechanic
2018 FLHTP with about 6,700 miles.  Rider says that when he hits bumps the engine cuts out, then oil light goes on briefly and then the engine catches on again.  Are there any known issues with these later ignition switches and their connection to the BCM? Dealer tech told me they've seen this on some local police bikes and it was the wires from the ignition switch being kinked or stretched inside the fairing.
I removed the fairing and wiggled and pulled on all harnesses and couldn't cause a fail.  Also checked the area next to the frame neck on the right side.  Nothing found.

ziggy24

Go through the wiring harness' and check for non factory splices.Check all connectors as well. Some of the setup companies chop all kinds of stuff up to install police accessories, not caring about longevity, as the police usually keep the bikes for a year or two.  good luck, hopefully you find the little gremlin.

fleetmechanic

One of the flange nuts on the ground posts in front of the battery was loose.  Should have started there.

Hossamania

If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

kd

:missed:  Hahaha.  That has been found and mentioned here many times and because of that I have found it a couple of times.  I was going to mention it but I thought nahhh, they would be too coincidental so I didn't.   :crook:
KD