March 29, 2024, 01:28:48 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Time for a new battery

Started by motorhogman, June 02, 2021, 07:57:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

motorhogman

Quote from: thumpr54 on June 10, 2021, 12:35:35 PM
Last couple of batteries I needed came from Calif Phil...on this site.....have to be a hell of a deal to beat him...and they show up in just a  few days.... :up: :SM:   never had to deal with any warranty issues so I can't speak to that...

Don't know if we are talking apples to apples but I'd say it would really take one hell of a deal to beat $105.00 to your door..  I've never dealt with any warranty issues either.  Every battery I have ever bought lasts past the warranty period.. I have one in my Ford Explorer that will be 9 years old this July.. 72 month warranty ..
where's the points and condenser ?<br />Tom / aka motor

kd

Well I expect you just jinxed that battery.   :kick:
KD

dave brode

Ditto that.

Quote from: kd on June 02, 2021, 04:50:54 PM
You don't say what you are cranking over but you may be surprised if you upsize your main cables.  It's a world of difference. You can buy them custom made with the extra leads for a reasonable cost from companies like Taylor Made that use quality wire, insulation and ends.  Phil would probably steer you in the right direction and save you a bit too.

motorhogman

Quote from: kd on June 11, 2021, 07:47:01 AM
Well I expect you just jinxed that battery.   :kick:

LMAO  I thought exactly the same thing !

motorhogman

Quote from: dave brode on June 11, 2021, 07:49:16 AM
  Ditto that.

Quote from: kd on June 02, 2021, 04:50:54 PM
You don't say what you are cranking over but you may be surprised if you upsize your main cables.  It's a world of difference. You can buy them custom made with the extra leads for a reasonable cost from companies like Taylor Made that use quality wire, insulation and ends.  Phil would probably steer you in the right direction and save you a bit too.

a stock 88 incher.  just had all the cables off cleaned them up shiny bright and inspected for corrosion.  When the time comes for cables I'll surely look into an upgrade.

Bladesmith

I hate to hijack a post, but since I already have you battery guys here...
I've been away for a month, bike has sat in a garage with a tender on it, with the green light on.
I went to start it for a fathers day ride and all I got was the Click,Click.
Tried it again about 4 hours later and it started right up.
We just relocated to Florida and the am temps were 90F with 95 % humidity .
when it did start it had dropped to 84F 83% humidity.
Should I just say screw it and buy a new battery or is something else going on?
Thanks.
If my thought dreams could be seen they'd  put my head in a guillotine.. Dylan

motorhogman

Quote from: Bladesmith on June 20, 2021, 09:08:08 AM
I hate to hijack a post, but since I already have you battery guys here...
I've been away for a month, bike has sat in a garage with a tender on it, with the green light on.
I went to start it for a fathers day ride and all I got was the Click,Click.
Tried it again about 4 hours later and it started right up.
We just relocated to Florida and the am temps were 90F with 95 % humidity .
when it did start it had dropped to 84F 83% humidity.
Should I just say screw it and buy a new battery or is something else going on?
Thanks.

I'd be checking the connections and the charger. That humidity and temp is typical of SC.  Shouldn't make any real difference.  How old is the battery ? I don't typically get more than 3 years any more out of a battery in the bike.  From what I've seen of the " battery tender" that green light is not so dependable. Maybe it wasn't charging at all.. I went through 2 of them and now use a Viking charger / maintainer from HF which shows the actual standing voltage and if it's floating or charging. Whole lot less $$ than the "tender" to.

blown alcohol

I will look into the Viking charger.
That would be nice to see actual voltage

My bike was built in 2012, and I'm just on my 2nd HD battery. I will probably replace it before my west coast ride in Aug. I'm sticking with HD for now on batteries. Deka may make them, but maybe their specs are little better for HD.
I have couple friends that every 2 to 3 yrs they have to buy a battery. I usually get 4+ years. My current battery was bought spring 2017 and does great on hot restart
2013 CVO Ultra

motorhogman

Quote from: blown alcohol on June 21, 2021, 05:55:37 AM
I will look into the Viking charger.
That would be nice to see actual voltage

My bike was built in 2012, and I'm just on my 2nd HD battery. I will probably replace it before my west coast ride in Aug. I'm sticking with HD for now on batteries. Deka may make them, but maybe their specs are little better for HD.
I have couple friends that every 2 to 3 yrs they have to buy a battery. I usually get 4+ years. My current battery was bought spring 2017 and does great on hot restart

Got 5 years out of my OEM battery.. 2001.  Been down hill for me with OEM batteries since. The Mega Crank I just bought is half the price and 440 CCA.  Yes I could probably get more time out of them but that hot soak start is tough on the starter and that's the reason I change them at 3 years. Then they run another 3 years in the lawn tractor with no problem.

Bigs

I just picked up two Deka ETX30LA batteries from Lowe's that I ordered for myself and son. With military discount and tax $223.45. When I take the old batteries back I get $20 back for battery core charge. Sure beats Harley.
   Bigs

motorhogman

Quote from: Bigs on July 03, 2021, 07:39:49 PM
I just picked up two Deka ETX30LA batteries from Lowe's that I ordered for myself and son. With military discount and tax $223.45. When I take the old batteries back I get $20 back for battery core charge. Sure beats Harley.
   Bigs

Good deal. Not hard to beat the dealer prices on some things.