April 19, 2024, 11:26:24 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Gauges For Switchback

Started by Propflux01, June 02, 2021, 11:54:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Propflux01

I have a 2015 Dyna Switchback. Pretty much a Dyna with a road king front end. I'd like to mount a volt gauge and oil temp gauge on it. Does anyone make such a kit for like, a road king or something that I could retrofit to this bike. All it has is Speedo, would like voltage gauge as a minimum.
A Shovel And A 55-Gallon Drum Can Solve Alot Of Life's Little "Issues"...

smoserx1

No replies???  My advise... just say no to yourself.  IMO yours is one of the nicest looking bikes Harley ever made and I would just leave those great classic looking instruments the way there are.  Voltmeters and others are fine for fairing bikes but will just look ugly on anything else.

Hossamania

There was a post years ago about a small digital voltmeter that attached to the handlebars, but certainly not a "classic" look.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

millerm64

June 05, 2021, 08:35:00 AM #3 Last Edit: June 05, 2021, 08:39:14 AM by millerm64
Quote from: smoserx1 on June 04, 2021, 11:34:17 AM
IMO yours is one of the nicest looking bikes Harley ever made and I would just leave those great classic looking instruments the way there are.  Voltmeters and others are fine for fairing bikes but will just look ugly on anything else.

I agree with smoserx1's sentiment completely.

BUT........

I'm the ugliest thing on my bike by far and being a geek on top of that here is my solution.

[attach=0,msg1387726]

DynoJet Power Vision.  I prefer to ride the bike sans bags and windshield and the bike looks mostly stock but this slight wart on the bars works for me.

This will not give you oil temperature but does give cylinder head temperature.  This is useful to let you know at what cylinder head temp your leg feels like it is setting on fire.  I do leave this system permanently mounted but the unit comes off easily for security or to hook to your inside computer when needed. The display can be configured for up to six digital or analog readouts.  Also this system can log your readouts for tuning or diagnostics which is why I purchased it. The unit is not cheap but I think a proper analog or reliable/readable digital setup with more style would probably cost as much. 

[attach=1,msg1387726]

Here is a pic of the whole bike to give you an idea of how it looks.

Mark

P.S.  When I was curious what my oil temps were I purchase a very long probe thermometer, like used when deep frying a turkey. Since oil cools slowly I would just ride for several hours or in very hot weather, shut the bike off, remove the dipstick and inset thermometer.  Never had over 230F. 
NOTE: I also run Wards cooling fans which you may be able to see in the above pic.

jmorton10

If it uses the same speedo as a RK, go with the Dakota Digital unit.

https://www.dakotadigital.com/index.cfm/page/ptype=product/product_id=1161/category_id=708/mode=prod/prd1161.htm

I have had that on my 07 RK for years & I love it.

~John
HC 124", Dragula, Pingel air shift W/Dyna Shift Minder & onboard compressor, NOS

Propflux01

Ideally, I was looking for a gauge housing of sorts to mount a volt and temp gauge in. I'm really kinda surprised there's not one out there already.

Hossamania

I searched "Harley gauge mount" and found a number of options, maybe something there will suit your fancy.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

dirty jim

Paughco catalog, Yankee Engineuity.

Propflux01

Thank you, I'll start there!