April 19, 2024, 01:01:47 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Evo gaskets, do you put them on dry?

Started by 1340evo, June 03, 2021, 01:16:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1340evo

Here's a question for you knowledgable lot... When fitting 'normal' gaskets, like the oil pump, timing cone, rockers etc, do you just fit them dry or do something with them first?
Years ago I used to soak them in oil before fitting but was told not to do it as it makes them expand?.. not sure I agree with that as I always found them to compress better than just using them dry... Any thoughts on this  :teeth:

jsachs1

Scotty

kd

KD

1340evo

That appears to be conclusive then... wonder if it was some older type gaskets we did it to?

Scotty

Quote from: 1340evo on June 03, 2021, 03:10:25 PM
That appears to be conclusive then... wonder if it was some older type gaskets we did it to?

I remember soaking cork gaskets back in the 70's but they were the only ones and they were always rocker cover or lifter covers on cars.
Probably not needed now they use silicone for all those now.

1340evo

Quote from: Scotty on June 03, 2021, 04:43:10 PM
Quote from: 1340evo on June 03, 2021, 03:10:25 PM

I remember soaking cork gaskets back in the 70's but they were the only ones and they were always rocker cover or lifter covers on cars.
Probably not needed now they use silicone for all those now.

You could be right there. maybe it was the cork ones I'm thinking of :)   dry it is then...

Deye76

"Years ago I used to soak them in oil"

Gaskets have come a long way since then. 
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

Burnout

A dry gasket will often stick, If you don't want them to stick work some white grease into them.

If you want them to stick for sure, use Gasgacinch. Gasgacinch on one side will hold the gasket in place and ~come back apart for reuse.
Gasgacinch on both sides and it will tear the gasket in half when you pull it apart.

I don't like glue on the oil pump gaskets, oil or grease. On one that has nasty surfaces, I have been known to use  a thin coat of spray coppercoat.

Metal gaskets and coated gaskets should be installed dry, they are designed to be used dry. The coatings take care of any sealing.
They don't call me Ironhead Rick just because I'm "hard headed"

JW113

Oil pump, dry. Most of the others, like tappet blocks, nose cone, cyl base, rocker boxes to head, I like a very thin coat of Hylomar for the purpose of making them easy to get back off later. That said, these new Foamet gaskets don't seem to stick like the older ones do, even without Hylomar. When pulling a motor apart, I try to find as many of those type as possible to put it back together.

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

1340evo

Just fitting a new seal in the oil pump tonight and you can see where the previous owner has tapped it in... why don't people just turn up a tool to tap it or press it in... anyway, new seal in now

Then measured the new pump gaskets against the old one...

coming off are .011 wher its not compressed... new ones to go on are .0125 so .003 thicker overall... does this matter?

not sure whos gaskets they are, maybe just some cheap copy things..  may invest in some real HD pump gaskets.. what you think?

1340evo

Pic of damage.. its less than the root and not proud... but annoying

1340evo

June 06, 2021, 01:45:36 AM #12 Last Edit: June 06, 2021, 01:50:03 AM by 1340evo
the keys don't appear to have much to drive on... .040" maybe?....
can't find a clearance on the gears.... maybe .0015 in the gaskets wont matter that much... been told the are James.
Are all these screws the same torque setting for both body and cover and is there a sequance?

Deye76

June 06, 2021, 12:05:11 PM #13 Last Edit: June 06, 2021, 12:25:03 PM by Deye76
As your tightening make sure you can turn the gear inside the cam chest periodically. IIRC the manual calls for 80-120 inch pounds. !00 in. pounds should be good. Tighten to 50 , then 80 then 100, tighten from the inside out and stagger.
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

1340evo

Quote from: Deye76 on June 06, 2021, 12:05:11 PM
As your tightening make sure you can turn the gear inside the cam chest periodically. IIRC the manual calls for 80-120 inch pounds. !00 in. pounds should be good. Tighten to 50 , then 80 then 100, tighten from the inside out and stagger.

yes, will give that a go.. thanks

1340evo

Can anyone tell me if the seal is fitted the correct way? reading the manual it says 'fit with the lip out'... I'm not sure what that means. I don't think you could fit the thing the other way. If it were a normal seal, the spring ring would be on the back but it does not have a ring on this type, but does have a metal body you press in....  Also fitted the same way the old one came out but judging by other things the last owner did, thats nothing to go on :)

nmainehunter

I've been putting grease on my paper gaskets for years. Most greases have a high melting point so they always stay moist and pliable. I also grease all the seals and o rings. Gaskets like the EVO top gaskets I don't do anything and unless they get cut or kinked then I toss them. The Cometic top end gaskets go on as is. I don't know what the material for those gaskets is but they don't stick. Except for head gaskets most of my gaskets get reused. Been like that for 40 yrs or better, never had a blow out.