April 19, 2024, 02:00:30 PM

News:

oil tank

Started by david lee, June 03, 2021, 06:45:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

david lee

whats the best way to change the oil on my trike.. the horseshoe oil tank has all 3 hose fittings under the tank. which i dont understand why. theres 2 under the front right hand front and 1 in the middle under the rear. id like to get all the old oil out. thanks

[attach=0,msg1387615]

kd

June 03, 2021, 07:33:29 PM #1 Last Edit: June 03, 2021, 07:46:14 PM by kd
If you just want to remove the old oil and give it a full change, run the engine with the intake line from the tank in a fresh qt of oil and watch the oil that runs out of the tank fitting.  When it runs clear the old oil is gone. You'll need to set up a cardboard drain catch that directs the oil from the tank into a pan.
KD

david lee

Quote from: kd on June 03, 2021, 07:33:29 PM
If you just want to remove the old oil and give it a full change, run the engine with the intake line from the tank in a fresh qt of oil and watch the oil that runs out of the tank fitting.  When it runs clear the old oil is gone. You'll need to set up a cardboard drain catch that directs the oil from the tank into a pan.
filter too. you mean the return line to the tank thanks

kd

There are a few ways to accomplish what you seem to want to do.  It depends on how easy it is to remove your lines and which ones. If you take the intake (from the tank to the pump) line off and stick it into a fresh t of oil, it will feed from there when started.  The return oil will go back to the tank and drain out.  When it is clear that means all of the old oil in the system has been pushed out and only clean oil remains.  Pay attention to the amount of oil in the y container as it may run out before it runs clear.  In that case you may have to open another qt. to continue.  This oil is not wasted.  It is merely replacing the old oil in the engine and lines that doesn't get drained by just using a drain pan the usual way.  Some may prefer to remove the return line and monitor that oil for coming clear. Your choice. 

Another way is this system.  I use it as do some other members.  Others will tell you not to worry about it, drain, refill and ride.  I find I get more miles to a change by spending a few extra minutes to run it until it drains clear.

I expect a few others will join in with their thoughts.  After all, this IS an oil thread.
KD

david lee

Quote from: kd on June 03, 2021, 08:38:56 PM
There are a few ways to accomplish what you seem to want to do.  It depends on how easy it is to remove your lines and which ones. If you take the intake (from the tank to the pump) line off and stick it into a fresh t of oil, it will feed from there when started.  The return oil will go back to the tank and drain out.  When it is clear that means all of the old oil in the system has been pushed out and only clean oil remains.  Pay attention to the amount of oil in the y container as it may run out before it runs clear.  In that case you may have to open another qt. to continue.  This oil is not wasted.  It is merely replacing the old oil in the engine and lines that doesn't get drained by just using a drain pan the usual way.  Some may prefer to remove the return line and monitor that oil for coming clear. Your choice. 

Another way is this system.  I use it as do some other members.  Others will tell you not to worry about it, drain, refill and ride.  I find I get more miles to a change by spending a few extra minutes to run it until it drains clear.

I expect a few others will join in with their thoughts.  After all, this IS an oil thread.
is the first way done before the new filter is installed.the lines seem easy to get to with screw on clamps. thanks

Burnout

Have you checked for a fitting in the rear bottom right corner?

The Oil Tank looks like it's laying on the primary or very close?
They don't call me Ironhead Rick just because I'm "hard headed"

david lee

Quote from: Burnout on June 03, 2021, 11:39:47 PM
Have you checked for a fitting in the rear bottom right corner?

The Oil Tank looks like it's laying on the primary or very close?
yes that rear fitting is on the right hand side. is that a breather ? the tank is close to the primary but not touching

kd

Your manual should show you what the lines are at the engine end.
KD

04rkryder

I've used the Rouge Scavenger on my Evo when I'm feeling anal about get all the oil out, simple enough to use. Never tried the RK version though.

Burnout

If that is an HD tank it has the oil drain in the bottom right rear corner.
The oil pump feed may tee into that drain line.
Softies had the hose terminated on a stub on top of the back/bottom of the frame to close it.
They don't call me Ironhead Rick just because I'm "hard headed"

david lee

Quote from: Burnout on June 04, 2021, 08:10:46 AM
If that is an HD tank it has the oil drain in the bottom right rear corner.
The oil pump feed may tee into that drain line.
Softies had the hose terminated on a stub on top of the back/bottom of the frame to close it.
it has no drain plug.so the way to drain the tank would be to disconect the feed line? thanks