March 28, 2024, 09:10:07 AM

News:

Lifting the E-Glide gas tank

Started by rkrcpa, June 06, 2021, 07:21:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rkrcpa

I need to replace the plug wires on my 2007 E-Glide and there is no way my fingers are going to fit under the tank to access the clips holding the wires to the frame. 

Reading the service manual, it seems like more work than necessary to remove the tank. Is there any reason i can't just disconnect the fuel line, remove the bolts and lift up on the tank?

PoorUB

It really isn't that hard.

I would think trying to juggle the tank and work on wires under it would be much more difficult.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

Fugawee

I have done it on an 03' FLHTCUI without fully removing the gas tank.  Someone may have an alternate method, but this works for Me.

Remove the Fuel Line at the tank
Remove the Gas Cap, and Remove the Console.  You may, or may not have to dis-connect the electrical connectors.  Not a big deal.
Remove the Rear Bolt that secures the Gas Tank, and Loosen the Two Front Bolts securing the Gas Tank.
With the Console out of the way, the Gas Tank should pivot "up" from the rear, giving You enough room to do what You have to.
You may have to cut a Zip-Tie or two on the Frame, to raise the Tank.

I usually wrap a towel, or something around the Console for protection.  I also suggest to pivot the Gas Tank carefully, so it doesn't slam into the Ignition Switch when raised.  I usually use an old piece of sponge like packing material, or a towel; between the Tank, and the Ignition Switch to protect it.  If You wad up a towel, or wedge some strong cardboard, or whatever works for You at the rear of the Tank...it will keep it up, and out of Your way while doing what needs to be done.  Just don't fully remove the two front Gas Tank Bolts.
You may also want to protect the Gas Tank with a towel, or whatever You have while working around it.  And, if You may be a smoker...be cautious.  For what it's worth...removing the two Front Gas Tank bolts, the Gas Tank should lift right up, and off.  Might be easier for You.
I hope that this may help You...like I said, someone else may have a better method.  Good Luck!

Coyote

Yes you can just prop the tank up.