May 09, 2024, 03:28:58 PM

News:

My EVO gas milage that I am not getting..

Started by averharr, May 31, 2009, 09:57:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

averharr

May 31, 2009, 09:57:53 PM Last Edit: October 04, 2009, 02:37:40 PM by averharr
I have a 1993 Electric Glide Ultra, it came with a trike kit. I am getting about 28 mpg. what can I do to get it up? (113 miles = 4 gallons  :cry:)

Thanks for all the help
Avery  

PS New plugs and K&N filter, still no change.

Buddy WMC

Is the engine tuned properly? Not sure about trikes, but they have to have more drag than a two wheeler. Have you looked in a possible change the gearing?

96dynabagger

Carb jetting...  Use an experienced tuner.  You don't want to end up
with great mileage and be too lean.  That's a bigger problem.

riden2low

wow 28???????????? I would think it would be around 40 at least.

martida01

digger384

Not getting much more than 40mpg on a stock EVO flht standard with S&S "E".

92Fatty

Can we have a few more details? What carb is on it currently? From the factory it had a CV model carb. Also do you know what gearing it has in it? What color were the plugs when you changed them out? Thanks.

JohnS_Rosamond

A 1993 Harley would have only had about 55 hp, if no other changes (except for the extra weigt of the trike kit), then that's about what a person might expect.  I would ask, is teh carb modified? Do you have a cam? Has the gearing been changed? All of these will come into play.  With a trike, I would not be too surprised if the gearing had been "shortened" to help the engine deal with the extra weight.  With a modified engine, you should get better power and a "little" better mileage, but you're never going to get "good" mileage.  I would expect a decent set up to yield something in the low to mid 30's, but not much more than that.

Buddy WMC

Seems as though we are all trying to help the author, but there has been no respose to our questions. What's up with that??

PaJoe

June 04, 2009, 01:50:25 AM #10 Last Edit: June 04, 2009, 01:53:43 AM by PaJoe
He may want to  check the VOES, which advances the timing under light load conditions and improves gas mileage. Not having a VOES is easily missed but it does show up in lower gas mileage. It's possible they removed it because of the extra weight of the trike, but if the engine is stock and they have one that is set up properly should not cause pinging.

Wally Kerstetter   in Sunbury Pa  did a great job on my CV carb: http://www.harleydavcvcarbrebuild.com/

Dan89flstc

Quote from: averharr on May 31, 2009, 09:57:53 PM
I have a 1993 Electric Glide Ultra, it came with a trike kit. I am getting about 28 mpg. what can I do to get it up? (13 miles = 4 gallons  :cry:)

Thanks for all the help
Avery   

Are you getting 28 MPG or 13 miles=4 gallons?
US Navy Veteran
A&P Mechanic

martida01

My guess is that it had to be leaking gas.  Must have ditched his smoke and set the thing on fire?   :potstir:

Princess Butt

I ran a sidecar on my stock '97 Road King for a while. I would get in the high 20's / low 30's for gas mileage.

BnEUC
Shiny side up, rubber side down.

riden2low

Well, it may get that type of mileage with the trike kit. I know someone that knows someone that has a trike set up and will ask him to find out what he gets for mileage. I have a 93 fatboy with a S&S carb and Andrews 27 cam. Other than that, bone stock and my woman and I rode about 170 miles last Sunday and got about 46 miles to the gal. And thats 2 up plus we are no lite weights  :hyst:

kickstart

Quote from: averharr on May 31, 2009, 09:57:53 PM
I have a 1993 Electric Glide Ultra, it came with a trike kit. I am getting about 28 mpg. what can I do to get it up? (13 miles = 4 gallons  :cry:)

Thanks for all the help
Avery   

:gob:

Big question here.
When do you get this mileage ?
after doing 80 on the interstate for an hour ?
Doing 45 on 2 lane roads- easy riding ?
Jack rabbit around town riding ?
That's allot of bike to expect more than 3o-35 with conservative riding
It's not about gun control.
It's about CONTROL.

riden2low

have to agree with kickstart. If I am haulin butt or getting on it around town, yep the milage goes down alot. But a road trip with easy starts and  highway speeds, I do pretty good.

averharr

Sorry, that I haven't gotten back. I have a Mikuni 45. The plugs where black. I have .040 oversized pistons in her. stock cam. I guess the first thing is to get a CV carb.

mkd

October 04, 2009, 01:18:49 PM #18 Last Edit: October 04, 2009, 01:26:16 PM by mkd
before i swapped carbs i would look at the exploded view of your mikuni and find out what you have for a pilot jet,main jet,needle, accellerator nozzle,and see what the initial settings are.then i would verify what parts you have and where they are set.then i would make a determination on what you should do. info from mikuni manual as follows. j8-8cfyo2-97 jet needle,175 main jet.another issue with mikuni is if you have the wrong enrichner cable attached to the carb it could have the enrichner part way on all the time.from the book. " make sure that the stock harley-davidson choke cable is fully seated in the metal elbow at the CARBURETOR END of the cable assembly.harleys cable is stiff and can fail to fully seat in the elbow.this condition results in poor mileage and a poor idle.the mikuni choke cable is more flexible and less likely to jam.still is best to be sure cable is installed correctly.harley choke knob has the word choke in white.the mikuni knob has a small brass bump in the center." look up mikuni's web site and in the manuals section you can downlode exploded views of the mikuni hsr carb as well as instructions on how to set them up within specs.it also states in the book that the wrong enrichner cable spring and or plunger or if the mikuni starter nut is fitted to the harley cable, the choke plunger is held off it's seat and the result in both cases is very poor fuel mileage(30 mpg or less) hope this helps

Nebraskarider1

I have an HSR 42 on my 97 which used to be injected and I do anywhere from 38 on a very windy day to 44.5 on a good day. I usually average around 42. I put a #98 rod in mine dropped one clip position from the middle groove. It only did around 38 with the stock clip position with the stock #97 rod. The Mikuni manual can be downloaded here   http://www.mikuni.com/fs-carburetor.html    I would think you could do at least 32 if everything is setup correctly. I have Rinehart true-duals with quiet baffles and an se-3 cam and 10:1 se pistons, so I am not sure if the extra horsepower helps me out or not. I do know my front pulley has been swapped out for a 30 tooth as opposed to the stock 32 my year is supposed to have. My rpm is about 3000 at 70, which is where I spend most of my time.

averharr

I have 82000 miles on my trike. The jugs and piston are .040 over. I have 105 psi on one cylinder and about 98 on the other. I just came across a set of jugs at are stock. what would be a good cam for the low to mid for me? I am not a hot rod but I like a good lope. I am also having a problem with low oil pressure after a 25 mile run. cold I have about 30 lbs, and when it get warm it goes less then 5 lbs at and idle. Thanks for all the help. Jack

mkd

the andrew ev 23 would be a good cam choice for your bike.your compression seems low and if so you can't be making much power. perhaps start with the basics on your motor and see if it's worth the $ or not.

averharr

October 04, 2009, 04:03:11 PM #22 Last Edit: October 04, 2009, 04:25:24 PM by averharr
I have another set of heads and I like to have the heads ported. I just got a set of stock jugs that has been used. I am going to get new flat top piston. What would be a good cam for low to mid range for my trike?

Thanks
Jack  

smittyon66

mkd gave you some good info about the choke cable. That would be the first place I'd look on a Mikuni with a low mileage problem. Fairly common problem and I think Mikuni even mentions it in their manual. I also agree with him that an ev-23 is a good choice for a heavy touring bike.

You mentioned liking a good lope to the engine. What do you have the idle set at?
Forget the bullsh!t - it's all about two wheels and a motor!

averharr

Are you asking about the rpms? It is about 900 to 950.
Jack

smittyon66

Yes, I was just wondering. I've seen folks set the idle low to make them lope and that would cause low oil pressure.
Forget the bullsh!t - it's all about two wheels and a motor!

averharr

I know it is an old bike, but I still like to riding it. I know that I have a lot of work to do to get it right. So, I really welcome all the help that I can get.  

moosemush

A Mik 45 is way too much carb for a stock bike. Hence the black plugs. Finding a good CV is the way to go for best mileage.

Nebraskarider1

I missed that before when you said you had an hsr45, I agree its too much and would also look for a cv or an hsr42 preferrably a cv if you're looking for mileage. I had a friend that had an hsr45 on a road glide and only got about 32.

averharr

October 15, 2009, 07:08:35 AM #29 Last Edit: October 16, 2009, 04:22:36 AM by averharr
OK Guy's, I would like to see what you all think about this. I have an 1993 Electraglide Classes. My bike has 82,000 miles on it. I have about 105 psi, on the front Cylinder. and 98 psi. on the back Cylinder. the pistons and jugs are bored .040 over. The carb. is a hsr 45, and In get about 26 mpg. My oil pressure is about 25 to 30 when cool, but when she warms up and I am setting at a red light the oil pressure drop to "0".

I have a set of "USED" heads and jugs that are standard. I know that that I am going to buy new pistons, and a new cam. I would like some input on what kind of pistons and which cam would give me good low end grunt. And a little more top end. I don't like to be walk off and be left behind.  Should I look at a new oil pump?

I am going to do any drag racing, but I would like to be able jump when I need it. As she stands I know that she will do about 85 (till the blue light came on.) but not much more then that, and it took a while to get her there too.

What would you all recommend for me to do?
All of idles would be great help.  :up:

Thanks
Jack