March 28, 2024, 01:42:37 PM

News:

Ironhead prices...where are the bikes?

Started by sharkoilfield, June 06, 2021, 09:12:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sharkoilfield

An associate was asking me questions about my 1974 XLCH; claims it was offered to him for X dollars at one time by the former owner and was wondering what it might be worth today. I know he's prepping for an offer I'm not interested in. I've looked in Canadian and ebay ads and see nothing but disfigured old stuff for sale. The only ironhead fetching any bids on ebay is a stock survivor. Are there many unmolested ironheads left down there in USA or have they all been shipped to Japan? Prices there seem outta this world...

Hossamania

It's pretty rare to see an Ironhead pull up anywhere around here. Shovels are not nearly as common as they used to be either.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take away everything you have.

Fugawee

There are actually quite a few I/H Sporty's here in My neck of the woods.  Most are "keepers", that the Owner's don't want to part with, and have another Bike, or more.  Myself included...I have a 76'.  Those that are for sale, if it is a decent road-worthy Bike...they are selling for 3 to 5 Thousand US bucks.  You could find some for 1 to 2 Thousand Bucks, or maybe even cheaper; but You'll be laying out some $$$ to get the Bike right.  Some Guys that may have a real "show stopper", in Their opinion...may want 7500 to 10 Thousand US bucks.  If they can get it...good for Them.  I want to kick Myself when talking about Sportster's, for getting rid of a 67' CH, and a 74' XLH.
Shovel's used to be seen a lot.  For some reason, I don't see as many of those around as much as I once did.
Panheads seem to be a lot more visible these days.  Whether it's a "Resto-Mod", Restored, or a "Rat"...they seem to be around a lot more.  Which I'm appreciating.

Hossamania

I do love seeing the old ones pull in when out and about. I love hearing a Shovel turning over on the starter, just such a great old sound from days gone by.

Fugawee

I hear You.  But, what I like even better is seeing the Kick Pedal put in place, then the "one to prime" kick, the clickity-clack of the Pedal returning, then the Bike fire right up on the next kick.  Love it...

Hossamania

Quote from: Fugawee on June 06, 2021, 11:45:08 AM
I hear You.  But, what I like even better is seeing the Kick Pedal put in place, then the "one to prime" kick, the clickity-clack of the Pedal returning, then the Bike fire right up on the next kick.  Love it...

Yup!

sharkoilfield

I see the reasonably stock 1966 XLCH I was watching on the bay ended; reserve not met at $7100USD. Someone fishing for market value?

Burnout

June 16, 2021, 08:05:23 AM #7 Last Edit: June 16, 2021, 08:11:27 AM by Burnout
No low ballers, I know what I have!

That's not a 57, but it's not getting any younger.....

But yeah, market test or fishing for a sucker.

The problem with these models is you can easily spend $10k on one to make it right but the market doesn't think they are worth that much.
They don't call me Ironhead Rick just because I'm "hard headed"

JW113

There are a few that seem to bring a pretty penny at auction ('57-'65, XR1000, XLCR), but in general, the much more common AMF ironheads are only held dear to a small, enthusiastic crowd. Kind of a love 'em, or who cares, situation.

Oh, and I forgot: their a girl's bike. Remember that.
:wink:

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

sharkoilfield

Ahhh...the old "girls bike" thing. Funny; I never heard that back when I started riding.  In 1968.  Even when I bought my first new BSA.  In 1971.  Wonder where that line actually started?

Burnout

"Girls bike"! Girls must like fast bikes.

My girls bike has beaten many big twins stop light to stop light, and in the twisties I'm like "Seeya I'll wait for you at the other end"....

An XL is the perfect hoolgan bike.

XL's have been spanking big twin ass since 1957!!!
They don't call me Ironhead Rick just because I'm "hard headed"

JW113

Who's been saying that? Big Twin riders, of course! Back in the day, Sportster was the original Superbike. Beat anything on two wheels with the exception of a few, very exotic, and expensive, European bikes. But then along came Honda and the CB750 Four. But it was fun while it lasted! And yes, until recently, XL's would run circles around a BT. Other than drag racing (which back in the day, Ironheads were king of), you did not see many BTs on the 1/4 mile. On circle or road course, none. That was exclusive XL territory.

Yep, girls bike. Just smile and wink.
:wink:

-JW

Hossamania

Fugawee

Oldie but a goodie.  A few bucks, and some TLC...someone could have a nice Ironhead.  I think that I would have at least taken a bucket, sponge, and a hose to it first, before I tried to unload it.  But some may the like old, dirty, and dusty look.  Patina?  Is that the word I'm looking for?

sharkoilfield

[attach=0]
That '72 almost looks like my '74 when I got it.
Lotsa elbow grease; a few more dollars to go...

Hossamania

A nice little chopper just waiting to be finished.

link

JW113

Little???

:scratch:

I'm sorry, I like choppers as much as the next guy. Especially Ironhead choppers, heck I had one for years. But that thar machine, with an enormous frame and tiny little motor sitting down in there looks comical.

To each his own, I always say!

-JW

Fugawee

Wow...Yeah, that sure is something.  Wouldn't work for Me.  I don't think I could stretch out that far.  And I agree...too much frame, and front end; with a small mill.  I'll bet it'll get sold.  Someone will do something with it.

JW113

Yes, it would be interesting to follow this to see what happens to it. I see a stock swing arm frame that's been stretched to the moon in the front, with just a couple bar straps replacing the shocks, not an actual hard tail frame. What looks to be a very long Paughco or similar narrow springer, non-dampted. A pair of laced wheels, and an Ironhead mill of unknown provenance. $6K seems a little steep. Maybe $2K?

-JW

Hossamania

But the motor's been completely rebuilt, so, you know, $6k. Don't low-ball him, he knows what he has....
If only he had it 20 years ago when choppers were making their comeback. They came back. And went again.

Fugawee

I'm kinda' wondering what the definition of extra parts is.

JW113

"Completely Rebuilt"

"Low Miles"

"New and Improved"

"For A Limited Time Only"

-JW