April 19, 2024, 07:59:32 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

New SE compensator noisey

Started by johnchev89, June 06, 2021, 02:02:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnchev89

Alright, 
     I just installed a new se comp.  It is quiet when cool but clatters after it is up to running temp.
Raised the idle to 1100 and it goes away.
   Have been reading on adding the shims to the spring pack, but its all older posts.
  I pulled the cover off and disassembled the comp and found nothing out of place. Just slight wear on the ramps.
Thoughts?

kd

KD

johnchev89

I have read that multiple times.. Going back in it in the morning.
     My old comp didn't make noise like that.

kd

Depending on the cam and idle characteristics, setting the stack height at or close to the outer limit, may allow it to rattle a bit.  I was at that limit and just within the standard with one shim. It had a slight occasional knock at low RPM, especially if pulling away and lugging it a touch.  The next time the cover was off, I added a .031  shim and it's now silent.
KD

kd

June 06, 2021, 04:21:59 PM #4 Last Edit: June 06, 2021, 06:39:54 PM by kd
Deleted - double post  :nix:
KD

Ohio HD

Are you sure the auto chain tensioner doesn't need to be clicked a notch? A loose chain makes a lot of noise when idling.

johnchev89

Quote from: Ohio HD on June 06, 2021, 04:27:44 PM
Are you sure the auto chain tensioner doesn't need to be clicked a notch? A loose chain makes a lot of noise when idling.
I will check and add a click if needed,
Also read on the other thread about using the small spring from the old spring pack.
If the stack hight is under specs.

Coyote

I don't think you are going to hurt a thing adding a small spring. I did it to everyone of my bikes as well as quite of few bikes I worked on. Never had an issue after that. ymmv

johnchev89

Added the small spring and no noise now.  Alot smoother also.