March 28, 2024, 09:23:16 AM

News:

Choke / Fuel enrichment cable

Started by motorhogman, June 09, 2021, 08:13:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

motorhogman

01 FLHT stock carb. My 3rd OEM plastic cable has bit the dust.  I rigged it to work for now. I looked at my 01 Parts manual and it does not show a PN for the unit. Just the various parts of it. same for Ronnies look up..

Anyone have the PN for the complete cable assembly ?

Besides thinking about another OEM unit I recall a thread here some time ago about an all metal unit that relocates to the right side like an S&S carb.. I've searched the posts and cant find it. I looked at Kirk and Drag and don't see one.. Any info on this would be appreciated.
where's the points and condenser ?<br />Tom / aka motor

Fugawee

See if this works for You...HD #29229-88D=Cable, Carb Enrichner.  I don't know if HD may have up-dated that # with there new system .
That # is for the entire assembly, minus the small spring and choke valve/jet going into the carb.
As far as the after-market assembly...I recall seeing a Company with an all metal assembly at one of the bigger Bike Rally's quite a few years  back.  But I have not heard, or seen anything since.  Should have bought one, or two of them.  I've replaced a couple of them on My Bikes also.  Good Luck!

cheech

June 09, 2021, 10:05:34 AM #2 Last Edit: June 09, 2021, 10:27:28 AM by cheech
29229-88D
Its under the Air Cleaner & enrichener heading
Edit for afterthought.
The Mikuni choke cable has steel threads. I do know they are detented instead of the HD "friction" tension to hold open.
The Mikuni Easy kits reuses the stock cable on the Mikuni carb.
So maybe the Mikuni cable will work on the OEM carb.
I personally never tried.

smoserx1

It is one of the things that wears out so often I keep a spare at all times.  Every time I replace it I order a new one.

capn

hattitude

motorhogman

Thanks for the replies. I'll start looking.. 

motorhogman

Quote from: cheech on June 09, 2021, 10:05:34 AM
29229-88D
Its under the Air Cleaner & enrichener heading
Edit for afterthought.
The Mikuni choke cable has steel threads. I do know they are detented instead of the HD "friction" tension to hold open.
The Mikuni Easy kits reuses the stock cable on the Mikuni carb.
So maybe the Mikuni cable will work on the OEM carb.
I personally never tried.

:banghead:  I looked at Carb  Never saw the "Air Cleaner & enrichener heading   

Than You

motorhogman

Quote from: Fugawee on June 09, 2021, 10:04:55 AM
See if this works for You...HD #29229-88D=Cable, Carb Enrichner.  I don't know if HD may have up-dated that # with there new system .
That # is for the entire assembly, minus the small spring and choke valve/jet going into the carb.
As far as the after-market assembly...I recall seeing a Company with an all metal assembly at one of the bigger Bike Rally's quite a few years  back.  But I have not heard, or seen anything since.  Should have bought one, or two of them.  I've replaced a couple of them on My Bikes also.  Good Luck!

Thanx  Looks right.. That after market unit to relocate to the right side was posted by somebody on here.. If I recall the bike it was installed on had a stock air cleaner.. The after market one i see requires a Ness or S&S air filter.. I don't think it was just a bracket. I believe it was the cable and bracket... Might be wrong.. It was a while ago.  Can't find the thread searching,,

smoserx1

I'm about to need a new one too...lost count of how many I have replaced.  You might consider that aftermarket one mentioned in this thread considering how often the OEM ones fail.  I believe next time I will too.

motorhogman

June 12, 2021, 09:43:34 AM #10 Last Edit: June 12, 2021, 09:48:31 AM by motorhogman
Quote from: smoserx1 on June 12, 2021, 04:35:21 AM
I'm about to need a new one too...lost count of how many I have replaced.  You might consider that aftermarket one mentioned in this thread considering how often the OEM ones fail.  I believe next time I will too.

This is #3 in almost 21 years.. the first one was actually broke by my buddy, a HD tech where I bought the bike new..I told him it was slipping in and he said No problem I can adjust it.. ooops.. He replaced it under warranty.. That one really doesn't count I guess..The bike was damn near new when that happened..

I ordered an after market one on line..once again dealer was out of stock and same thing as last time I called them..."we can order you one but not sure when we'll get it..

Hossamania

I think I'm on #2 in 20 years, a testament to the quality of the stock unit, I think.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take away everything you have.

jimbo304

My choke cable is the original, a 1995 Heritage with 96,00 miles on it. Still works fine, but maybe I'll get a spare just in case.

motorhogman

Quote from: jimbo304 on June 18, 2021, 01:09:54 PM
   My choke cable is the original, a 1995 Heritage with 96,00 miles on it. Still works fine, but maybe I'll get a spare just in case.

You've done well there.. Mine gave up at 15 years..

My recent experience..
I called my local dealer a week or so ago.. Said they didn't have one in stock.. Said we can order one but don't know when it would arrive for sure..  So I order an after market one on line... I just now installed it.. Let me tell you.. Stick with the OEM.  This thing is as cheaply made as it gets.   So I call the dealer back and ask the parts guy to order me one, He says hang on a minute.. Comes back and says we have 1 showing in inventory.. Does a physical check and it's there. I paid for it and going to pick it up in the am.. I don't believe this knock off POS will last 2 weeks...  :banghead:

Hossamania

Mine broke due to me overtightening it, otherwise it probably would have lasted the twenty years I've had the bike. This one has been on at least ten years now, maybe fifteen. In fact, I just tightened it, gently, last night.

fidel

motorhogman

Quote from: Hossamania on June 18, 2021, 03:29:56 PM
Mine broke due to me overtightening it, otherwise it probably would have lasted the twenty years I've had the bike. This one has been on at least ten years now, maybe fifteen. In fact, I just tightened it, gently, last night.

Gently is right.. The torque spec is 20 - 35 inch lbs.. My experience is limited but it seems once you need to start adjusting them they are probably cracked and not holding the friction factor. Trying to get on that 17mm nut with a torque wrench... :banghead:  I've tried with a crows foot in the past..Trying to understand the offset is confusing to me..  Somebody probably has a tool or solution to torque it properly.. I haven't found it.. The problem is, plastic.. cheap plastic.. Maybe the version "D" is better.. Going to pick it up in a few minutes..

nibroc

:scoot:

daughter uses a clothes pin to hold it open on her 03 1200 custom

... :chop:

smoserx1

QuoteMaybe the version "D" is better.. Going to pick it up in a few minutes..

Could be, after all it has certainly been revised enough.  My first one I actually tightened repeatedly till it finally broke.  Initially I was able to turn the round nut on front to increase the friction till it ran out of adjustment then tightened the plastic hex nut in the rear a time or two before it finally broke and fell out of the bracket, forcing me to replace it.  Since then I have always replaced it when I was no longer able to gain any friction with the round front nut.  I have changed the cable a bunch now but I also have alot more miles than some of the folks here.

motorhogman

Quote from: nibroc on June 19, 2021, 05:13:14 AM

Dang !  wish I thought of that..  Very mechanically creative..

motorhogman

Quote from: smoserx1 on June 19, 2021, 07:45:32 AM
QuoteMaybe the version "D" is better.. Going to pick it up in a few minutes..

Could be, after all it has certainly been revised enough.  My first one I actually tightened repeatedly till it finally broke.  Initially I was able to turn the round nut on front to increase the friction till it ran out of adjustment then tightened the plastic hex nut in the rear a time or two before it finally broke and fell out of the bracket, forcing me to replace it.  Since then I have always replaced it when I was no longer able to gain any friction with the round front nut.  I have changed the cable a bunch now but I also have alot more miles than some of the folks here.

Just looked at the one I took out to compare to the one I just picked up.. The one replaced 15 years ago is a "D" PN is on it. They are identical in every aspect..

motorhogman

Quote from: fidel on June 18, 2021, 10:10:33 PM
2000 for me still  original

Now you did it.. Every time I say something like that something breaks..

smoserx1

Quotedaughter uses a clothes pin to hold it open on her 03 1200 custom

Ditto here except it was way back when on one of the two old Gold Wings I owned.  It used the same type cable except the knob was up beside the ignition switch and the actual cable longer.  I used a small binder clip to hold it out.  The cable also controlled a real choke, not an enrichner.  I ended up replacing that one too.

Hossamania

Quote from: motorhogman on June 19, 2021, 07:59:47 AM
Quote from: nibroc on June 19, 2021, 05:13:14 AM

Dang !  wish I thought of that..  Very mechanically creative..

That is rather brilliant! I may have to clip one onto the bike for use.

Scotty

Quote from: motorhogman on June 19, 2021, 04:55:37 AM
The torque spec is 20 - 35 inch lbs

Don't need a torque wrench for that low amount as it is just finger tight at the most and that is all I do otherwise they break.