News:

Choke / Fuel enrichment cable

Started by motorhogman, June 09, 2021, 08:13:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hossamania

Quote from: Scotty on June 20, 2021, 08:16:19 PM
Quote from: motorhogman on June 19, 2021, 04:55:37 AM
The torque spec is 20 - 35 inch lbs

Don't need a torque wrench for that low amount as it is just finger tight at the most and that is all I do otherwise they break.

Agreed. The spec I use is, turn  it slightly, check to see if choke holds, if not, turn slightly, check again, if it still doesn't hold, too bad, live with it.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take away everything you have.

smoserx1

QuoteThis is #3 in almost 21 years..

Well I guess I got you beat (or you got me beat) because I have done 3 now since 2012.  Rode to see my brother a couple days ago and noticed when I was leaving it would not stay out.  I just now finished replacing it with a new one I already had laying around.  I won't put up with a cable doing that, its such a cheap and easy fix.  One thing I have found out is they get to where they won't stay out in hot weather when they would still function to some extent in cold temperatures.  It is pretty hot where I live.  Buddy of mine told me once they are designed to do like that cause you don't need as much enrichment in hot weather.  I told him BS, buy another one and I would install it for him but he never took me up on it.  I think he finally replaced his himself.  They work nice  when new (kind of like batteries).

motorhogman

Quote from: smoserx1 on July 09, 2021, 02:05:58 PM
QuoteThis is #3 in almost 21 years..

Well I guess I got you beat (or you got me beat) because I have done 3 now since 2012.  Rode to see my brother a couple days ago and noticed when I was leaving it would not stay out.  I just now finished replacing it with a new one I already had laying around.  I won't put up with a cable doing that, its such a cheap and easy fix.  One thing I have found out is they get to where they won't stay out in hot weather when they would still function to some extent in cold temperatures.  It is pretty hot where I live.  Buddy of mine told me once they are designed to do like that cause you don't need as much enrichment in hot weather.  I told him BS, buy another one and I would install it for him but he never took me up on it.  I think he finally replaced his himself.  They work nice  when new (kind of like batteries).
Same experience with the hot vs cold. The slipping when hot is a sign of failing for sure. I don't live far from you. I'm in the PEE DEE where we get no ocean breezes.  I left that POS after market cable installed even though I have a new OEM one. There is no tension adjustment on it and it is so hard to pull out that the bike actually moves a bit when you pull it out.. I had to put a cable tie around it and the bracket because the force required to pull it out pulled it out of the 17mm cheap plastic loose thread fit nut. The only good thing is the 17 mm nut has nothing to do with setting the tension. So it works for now and I'll leave it that way until it fails.  With all the miles you have on yours and my little 117,000 I'd say you have me beat. BTW the cheap quality after market one was a couple bucks more than the OEM one..
where's the points and condenser ?<br />Tom / aka motor