April 19, 2024, 05:13:57 PM

News:

speedomter stoped working

Started by No Problem, June 09, 2021, 10:18:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

No Problem

97 elec glide speedomter stop working im thinking its the speed sensor any test to make sure is there something else to check   thank you

Deye76

Have you tried cleaning the sensor?
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

kd

IIRC The 97 is a front wheel mechanical unit.  My 98 Ultra is.  It is subject to cable breakage and speedo drive failure.  The later usually gives you some warning with growly sounds. Disconnect it at the wheel and check the cable.  You can also insert an old cable end into the drive and see if it's engaged or free wheeling.
KD

No Problem

thanks when it colds down tonight ill check

Fugawee

One of My Brothers had a late 90's something FLH that had a mechanical speedo unit.  On the unit at the wheel, there is a small bent "tang", that fits into a slot/hole on the brake disc.  The tang had gotten bent, somehow...replaced the wheel or something, and would not fall into the slot/hole.  Removed, re-bent, re-installed, and all was good.  I have a 94' FLHTC...the times that I have had to remove the Outer Fairing, I've checked the speedo cable at the speedo.  I have found the knurled nut a little loose at some times, but nothing to go crazy about.

fbn ent

Either the cable or drive at the wheel. A sticky cable will load up the drive enough to break the tang right off. Speedo head could go but that doesn't happen often. Ask me how many miles on my '84..... :idunno: speedo only works sometimes  :emoGroan:.
'02 FLTRI - 103" / '84 FLH - 88"<br />Hinton, Alberta

fleetmechanic

Had several cables fail on 90s vintage police bikes.  It was usually a rusty break in the cable just uphill from the drive unit at the wheel.
Also had some of the aforementioned tangs on the sender unit break off and then no output to the cable.