April 19, 2024, 11:25:41 PM

News:

MoCo Factory Evo 96" Kit

Started by JamesButler, June 10, 2021, 10:33:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JamesButler

June 10, 2021, 10:33:56 AM Last Edit: June 10, 2021, 10:38:10 AM by JamesButler
Anyone know if the MoCo ever offered a factory 96" - Upgrade Kit for those tired 80"-Evos?  If so, what did it entail?

Ohio HD

wfolarry

JamesButler

Quote from: wfolarry on June 10, 2021, 10:55:04 AM
MOCO never.
S&S bore the cases for 3 5/8 cylinders & 4 5/8 stroke flywheels

https://www.sscycle.com/products/complete-96-inch-big-bore/stroker-hot-set-up-kit-for-1984-92-big-twins/

You could use the stock cylinders instead of the S&S cylinders?

xlfan

SP33DY

[/quote]

Only if you use 5" stroke flywheels

xlfan

Quote from: SP33DY on June 10, 2021, 11:28:05 AM

Only if you use 5" stroke flywheels
[/quote]

With stroker plates and longer sylinder studs?

Burnout

5" stroke doesn't that run into piston speed issues and it tearing open the big end of the rod?
They don't call me Ironhead Rick just because I'm "hard headed"

SP33DY

5" strokers are not for amateur builders. He asked:

The simple answer is yes, with 5" stroker flywheels.

The actual answer is yes, but you better know what you're doing. Ideally with tall deck cases, custom pistons, custom length manifold, etc.

I have played in that playground, years ago I was doing some fuel drag bike work @ 5.250 stroke.

I probably should have let it go and not responded the first time.

turboprop

Quote from: JamesButler on June 10, 2021, 10:33:56 AM
Anyone know if the MoCo ever offered a factory 96" - Upgrade Kit for those tired 80"-Evos?  If so, what did it entail?

No. Harley never offered any larger bore or larger flywheels for for the evolution engine. Period.
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

Hillside Motorcycle

5" arm engines are not for folks that do not know how to operate them.
That said, they are VERY powerful engines, with instant delivery, and can have good longevity, IF IF IF, used correctly.
Not something I google searched.....
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

JW113

Depending on the year, you might get away with boring the cases for bigger cylinders, many do. My cases cracked with just the stock bore. Blow on the dice, give 'em a toss, and take your chances.
:nix:

These days, if it were my dinero and I wanted a big Evo engine, seems just buying one (like a Ultima 113) is the way to go.

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

jsachs1

Back in the 90's, I built 8 - 92" Evo engines on stock cases. :idea: Everyone made over 100 H.P. Worst 104 hp. -  best 109 hp.
3/4" stroke S&S flywheels, 1200 Wiseco Sportster Piston kit, Big Twin 1340 stock Evo cylinders,.060" head gaskets. My 1.900" Evo heads
Modify oil scraper in the crank case for smaller diameter flywheels, check for normal stroker clearance issues, if any. Check piston to head clearance. Set breather timing (window mod).
Engines are major sleepers, looking bone stock. :wink:
John

JW113

Yes, that some good numbers. 1200 XL pistons means 3.5" bore, i.e. stock, right? I guess you saying you don't need to bore the cases to get good HP numbers, and clearly you did, that's awesome. I stroked my '91 to 4-5/8 (89cid), don't remember the HP but not over 100. And it didn't look stock, with Screamin' Eagle stamped on the heads! But it ran good enough for me, anyway.
:SM:

I had wanted to go the 96" route, but my machine shop dude said no way he'd do it, seen too many of them fail after boring the cases. Replace the cases, or find somebody else to do it. I took his advice, no bore. Ya don't argue with an experienced engine builder!

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber