March 29, 2024, 05:19:19 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Oil pump seal

Started by 1340evo, June 10, 2021, 02:18:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1340evo

June 10, 2021, 02:18:37 PM Last Edit: June 10, 2021, 02:22:44 PM by 1340evo
Just a few pics for those into oil pumps. Id taken the old seal out and replaced with a new one, same way around but before reading the manual.

Having found my manual, I made my mind up it was in back to front so just taken it all back out again. For sure it was the wrong way around but the last one must of done a good few K with it in this position. So whats the end result of it being backwards?
Air into the pressure side from the return?, lower oil pressure?, wet sumping ?

The top pic should face the gears.

Also, its a James seal and it has no spring in there to keep it tight. Are these okay or is another seal any better?...

kd

I expect the pump pressure does the work of a spring loaded lip from the side you show in the first (top) pic. 
KD

1340evo

The bearings in the engine were a bit of a mess and a couple of valves / rockers had picked up. Just thinking it may be down to this? So very important to get it the right way around.
Reading on various posts that it can cause the wet sumping also....  :dgust:

kd

With respect to my previous response, I want to point out you are using the Harley manual to determine the proper fitting of a James seal. How do you know they are constructed apples to apples?
KD

Burnout

I have always installed them with the lip to the pressure side.
They don't call me Ironhead Rick just because I'm "hard headed"

1340evo

Quote from: kd on June 11, 2021, 06:35:14 AM
With respect to my previous response, I want to point out you are using the Harley manual to determine the proper fitting of a James seal. How do you know they are constructed apples to apples?

I'd guess all seals work in a similar way?.. in that the long tapered bore goes to the lower pressure side and the sharp taper with the undercut goes to the high pressure side and due to the undercut will be pushed into contact in use?
The fact they don't tell you which way to put the thing suggests it must be done same as the HD one maybe?
I'm sure it will be better the other way. It could impact all the areas I put above I guess.. in reality does it? who knows :)