Friend brought wheels, bearings, and spacers for me to install (2016 RG CVO)

Started by Ken R, June 10, 2021, 04:10:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken R

Friend got his wheels powder-coated.  Brought over for me to install tires, sensor stems, and bearings.   There is uncertainty about the bearing spacers. The painter guy removed the bearings; but weeks later he could not locate any spacers in his shop other than the two that the owner brought to me to install. 

I inserted the spacers in the wheel hubs just to see if they look right.  They don't.  They look short.

Both spacers are the same length, 4.843". 
But I roughly measure the distance between the steps on which the outer races will contact the inside the hubs at about .25" farther apart than the spacers. 

If I'm right, the bearing inner races will never tighten against the spacers and it would be a big mistake on my part to try.   
If I'm wrong, I have egg on my face. 

I've replaced plenty of wheel bearings for people, no problem; but I was the one to disassemble and reassemble.  This time, 2 wheels and a bag of parts. 

This is a 2016 CVO RG with stock wheels.  Can anyone confirm the spacer lengths?   

Ohio HD

If my records are correct.

rear 41349-07 - 5.150"

front 41900-08 - 5.235"

Dealer should have them, they're used on a lot of bikes.

Ken R

Those measurements are about 1/4" longer than the spacers he gave me and seem to be about the same as the space i roughly measured between the bearing seats.  I can't accurately measure the distance between the seats with my caliper; but no doubt in my mind that the distance is greater than the spacers' lengths.   The bearings would probably be ruined if I torqued the axle nuts to spec since the inner races wouldn't touch the spacers. 

I'm going to report back to the owner that it doesn't appear that the painter that disassembled the wheels found and gave him the right spacers.   I'd already suggested that if there's any doubt (about the spacers) just buy a new set.   :crook:

Ken