April 16, 2024, 04:27:47 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

2000 FHLT changing ft shock oil

Started by Barefoot, June 12, 2021, 03:22:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barefoot

Planning to change the oil in front shocks...first time I have done this...Any tips or do's and don'ts...I know this sounds a little silly to you experts but you amaze me with the advice you offer...
Barefoot

smoserx1

June 12, 2021, 03:56:59 AM #1 Last Edit: June 12, 2021, 06:54:58 AM by smoserx1
You mean front forks right? If so drain out as normal then use a mity vac or similar tool connected  to the air fill fitting (remove schrader valve first ) at the back to suck new oil back in through the drain.  You will need a small tube to connect the new oil jar to the fork drain.  Old battery vent tube (65995-88A) works perfect... a few on eBay right now.  Believe me, it is the way to go, I got a 99 and  have done it a bunch.  Otherwise outer fairing, radio box, ignition switch knob, switch panel and cap bolt air fittings all have to come off.  Then a special low profile 1-3/8 socket from someone like motion pro or colony must normally be used to remove the cap bolts.  Turns a half hour job into half a day possibly.

road-dawgs1

I'll add if you have a hand impact to tap the screws prior to removal, it can sometimes save the hassle of stripping out a frozen one.
'24 FLTRX Sharkskin blue

motorhogman

Service manual gives straight forward instructions on doing this job.. Pretty much the way smoserx1 described it.

I use an AC vacuum pump to pull it into the fork. 
where's the points and condenser ?<br />Tom / aka motor

fbn ent

Just try to get the same amount in both tubes. It doesn't hurt to bounce the forks a few times to clear the oil from the workings.
'02 FLTRI - 103" / '84 FLH - 88"<br />Hinton, Alberta

Hossamania

Remove the core on the Schroeder valve (air valve) to get the oil to drain when the screws are removed. Removing the core first helps keep the oil from shooting out of the drain hole and onto you and the floor. Not that I would know firsthand, I've only heard of this happening.....
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

Barefoot

As always you guys continue to amaze me with your knowledge and willingness to share...Yes I did mean front forks...
Barefoot

smoserx1

Let me back up on something I said earlier.  On those models with air forks you don't need to remove the cap bolt (the bolt requiring the 1-3/8 inch socket), as once you remove the air fitting you could get a hose through and you could fill the forks through that opening.  Still alot more work than vacuum filling IMO.