March 29, 2024, 05:56:39 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Low rpm sustained cruising on a performance motor.

Started by 838, June 13, 2021, 07:22:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Would riding a big cube, high compression build for extended hours at low rpms be hard on the build? I'm doing a long run where the guys cruise very slow allll day... we'll probably be doing 65mph for 7-8 hours... should I run it in 5th gear?

09 FLHX 11.25:1 (210ccp).

Hossamania

It should be fine, pay attention to what the motor prefers. Cruising rpms are usually best above 2500 or 2600 rpms, but your motor may prefer a few more.
Some situations at 65 mph may call for 5th gear, or at times 6th gear will be fine. If the motor was built well, you should have no problems.
My motor combo prefers higher rpms in general, so I shift gears as necessary.
Don't worry about it, go riding and have fun!
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take away everything you have.

Ohio HD

5th gear. I don't use 6th unless I'm 70mph or higher on flat roads. 210ccp won't like being dogged. 

joes124

At those speeds, 5th on any slight grade (with a lower gear as needed) and 6th on the flats or down hill.

Deye76

Quote from: Ohio HD on June 13, 2021, 08:05:14 PM
5th gear. I don't use 6th unless I'm 70mph or higher on flat roads. 210ccp won't like being dogged.

Spot on.
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

kd

As you gently roll up through the rpm from 2000 you will likely find a span of a couple hundred rpm that feels harsher than the rest.  That's because it is impossible to have perfect balance on a 45 degree V twin Harley.  With my 4 5/8" stroke high compression 120 it occurs from about 2350 to 2550.  It's  not bad but if you pay attention you can find it on yours.  I personally avoid those rpm and stay in the silky smooth zone.  I am also geared 3.15 final and run 3000 rpm plus on the highway.  That may mean using 5th but I can tell you that running in the torque / power zone up there gives me better fuel mileage and gobs more response. I will run lower rpm if it is no load (level ground no headwind) and I am trying to be quiet, but that is an exception because I DO NOT lug my engine.
KD

Hossamania

Quote from: kd on June 14, 2021, 02:38:38 PM
As you gently roll up through the rpm from 2000 you will likely find a span of a couple hundred rpm that feels harsher than the rest.  That's because it is impossible to have perfect balance on a 45 degree V twin Harley.  With my 4 5/8" stroke high compression 120 it occurs from about 2350 to 2550.  It's  not bad but if you pay attention you can find it on yours.  I personally avoid those rpm and stay in the silky smooth zone.  I am also geared 3.08 final and run 3000 rpm plus on the highway.  That may mean using 5th but I can tell you that running in the torque / power zone up there gives me better fuel mileage and gobs more response. I will run lower rpm if it is no load (level ground no headwind) and I am trying to be quiet, but that is an exception because I DO NOT lug my engine.

That is a good summation.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take away everything you have.

👍. Thank you... LOL... strange request eh: dear HTT forum members, can you please teach me how to ride my bike slow... I don't know how 🤷‍♂️!!!  :chop:

kd

:hyst:  Me neither but I like to have a drivers license so I have learned where and when to smarten up.   :doh:  I hope that wasn't a jinx comment.
KD

Hillside Motorcycle

My 131" at 200 ccp will pull up thru no matter what, but prefers north of 2300-2400.
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

Quote from: kd on June 14, 2021, 02:38:38 PM
As you gently roll up through the rpm from 2000 you will likely find a span of a couple hundred rpm that feels harsher than the rest.  That's because it is impossible to have perfect balance on a 45 degree V twin Harley.  With my 4 5/8" stroke high compression 120 it occurs from about 2350 to 2550.  It's  not bad but if you pay attention you can find it on yours.  I personally avoid those rpm and stay in the silky smooth zone.  I am also geared 3.15 final and run 3000 rpm plus on the highway.  That may mean using 5th but I can tell you that running in the torque / power zone up there gives me better fuel mileage and gobs more response. I will run lower rpm if it is no load (level ground no headwind) and I am trying to be quiet, but that is an exception because I DO NOT lug my engine.

This tip worked great. Mine was in roughly the same rpm range as yours. Really smoothed out at about 2700 rpms. Bike seems to like low speed cruising at close to 3k and can do it all day!