April 19, 2024, 06:59:25 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Baffle Tune Question

Started by Wookie3011, June 15, 2021, 05:56:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wookie3011

I installed a quiet baffle on my 2016 FLSTFBS 117" T/C TTS150 58MM TB 10.2:1. I've noticed a loss in power. Is this to be expected? Will it work itself out with my standard O2's OR should I retune? It was definitely allot more Baffle compared to the original Vance and Hines ProPipe 2.1 alot more fiberglass. The original was maybe 7" vs 24-30" is there an in-between? Seemed like I went from one extreme to the other. Thanks

rigidthumper

I expect power levels to be down this time of year, high humidity and high temps reduce oxygen levels.  Might be worth the time to A/B testing to see how much affect the baffle has
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

harpwrench

Yes it will need retuned, and I would expect a loss of power with the quiet baffle on that much cubic inch

Wookie3011

No middle ground on the baffles. Thats unfortunate. I have to choose between my wife being happy riding with me or pure enjoyment and thrills when I twist the throttle? Geeze I wonder what I will choose. Thanks for the replies. I work alot so getting on here is hit and miss. Is the comp baffle louder than the stock ProPipe baffle? Is there a mod I can do to my quiet baffle to find middle ground? I've searched and found mods for the original but not the quiet baffle.

Harley Pilot

I modified a Vance and Hines eliminator 400 baffle to accept the pro pipe end cap and extended it approximately 4" so it reaches all the way to the collector, then wrapped it with header wrap. Nice and mellow at cruise and barks when on the throttle. I'm running the RS468 in a 107 and I'm thrilled with the performance.

Wookie3011

Very Interesting Harley Pilot. I'll look up the Eliminator 400 Baffle. I never considered other baffles to fab up.

Coyote

Put a Supertrap on it and keep the power and get rid of the (obnoxious) noise. It'll still sound like a Harley. I had a ST on my 113 with 26 dics and a closed endcap. It was not being held back.

Wookie3011

Right now I'm working on the external breathers for elite extreme. Its been a few thousand miles since last dyno tune. Probably a good idea to get her back on the dyno. Have a few more things I want to do to her before she's back at the treadmill. Looking at the 400 Eliminator Baffle it appears to have the same bolt pattern as the ProPipe end cap. Does it bolt right up? When you say you extended it? How? Fab up another section.

Wookie3011

I've looked at SuperTrap but I'm very Ignorant to the disc system and worried it would be hard to find a tuner who would be willing to put that time into it. How does that work and how do you determine the amount of disks to use? Thanks for your response. 

Coyote

Quote from: Wookie3011 on June 16, 2021, 05:20:39 PM
How does that work and how do you determine the amount of disks to use? Thanks for your response.

Use a good tuner. They will have a good idea but if it were me, I'd start with 26 closed. Your cam isn't really a right side HP cam but you have more CI than I did, it would probably be close.

Wookie3011

They have supertrapp at DennisKirk closeout for 489. Chrome though:( Got a quote in for Jet hot coating

Harley Pilot

Quote from: Wookie3011 on June 16, 2021, 05:00:42 PM
Very Interesting Harley Pilot. I'll look up the Eliminator 400 Baffle. I never considered other baffles to fab up.

Coyote

Quote from: Wookie3011 on June 16, 2021, 05:46:37 PM
They have supertrapp at DennisKirk closeout for 489. Chrome though:( Got a quote in for Jet hot coating

Try CA Phil

Harley Pilot

Quote from: Wookie3011 on June 16, 2021, 05:20:39 PM
I've looked at SuperTrap but I'm very Ignorant to the disc system and worried it would be hard to find a tuner who would be willing to put that time into it. How does that work and how do you determine the amount of disks to use? Thanks for your response.

The bolt pattern is close, but I took the flange from a pro pipe standard baffle and slid it over the louvered part of the new baffle and welded it to the existing flange. I also removed the necked down end from the new baffle and added about 3 1/2 " of 2 1/2" OD tubing to it. Then I wrapped a single layer of exhaust wrap around the baffle and surrounded that with the fiberglass packing from a performance baffle and re assembled it. I like the look of the pro pipe on my Lowrider and now I have the performance and sound I can live with while cruising.

hrdtail78

Look at the Supertrapp universal mufflers.  The STC-4 is 2.5 inlet.  You only get 12 disc with it though.  Only way I know how to do disc count is trial and error on dyno, and I have always had the best with the closed end cap.
Semper Fi