April 16, 2024, 01:28:41 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

09 Ultra transmission gasket

Started by SGTUSMC, June 18, 2021, 09:03:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SGTUSMC

I have an 09 ultra classic. The transmission bearing cover gasket is leaking. I think I saw someone calling it the trap door. I was wondering if that gasket can be replaced without pulling out the entire transmission. Any advice would be appreciated.

Coyote

The gasket is easy to change. Have you tried just tightening the bolts? They have a history of being loose from the factory.

calif phil

Coyote is spot on, a turn or two and you should be leak free again. 

kd

:agree:  Re torque in the correct pattern.  They will often loosen up at the exhaust mount studs along the bottom row.
KD

SGTUSMC

Thanks. They did loosen up at the exhaust. I'll give it a test ride.

fleetmechanic

The two lower bolts getting loose on all the 6 speeds has become routine maintenance for all of our '09 and later police bikes. Blue Loctite seems to help a little.

CndUltra88

Quote from: kd on June 18, 2021, 09:38:07 AM
  :agree:  Re torque in the correct pattern.  They will often loosen up at the exhaust mount studs along the bottom row.

Been chasen those to Nuts for a few days now on the 2011 Fuggly.
Hacked sawed the correct allen wrench after loosening off the heat shields.
Got a turn on them before the exhaust mount caused me conniptions and fits .
Next step if it leaks is to remove the exhaust and remove all the bolts and use some good ole lock tite stuff;)
But, thats going to be a challenge for me as I dont have a lift and am pretty sure the exhaust studs will come out with the nuts even if I use some panther piss on them nuts.
104 F as I type this and aint going to be test riding to see iffen those two bolts are tight enough.
Staying Hydrated is my plan.
Rob
Infantryman Terry Street
End of Tour April,4,2008 Panjwayi district Afghanistan

Hossamania

A friend of mine picked up a set of bits and a little ratchet handle that slips over them, that would probably work for those bolts. He used then to pull the rocker covers on his M8. I'll see if I can find and post them.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

Hossamania

If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

fleetmechanic

If you loosen and roll the long lower shield out of the way you can use an Allen tipped socket that has a long ball end on it and get plenty of torque.

Fugawee

June 28, 2021, 06:06:14 PM #10 Last Edit: June 28, 2021, 06:26:53 PM by Fugawee
Ball End Long Allen Sockets are great.  Saved My butt a time or two.  I also have that Chapman set of small drivers, and handles.  Those were standard issue where I used to work.  Not needed all the time...but real nice to have when the time comes.

CndUltra88

Quote from: Hossamania on June 28, 2021, 05:17:16 PM
Something like this.

link

Well, Shiver me timbers... I actually have that kit in my gun box.
Dont think I have the bit for it , but I'll go looksee.
I have the ball end long sockets and did loosen the shields on the 2011 and I couldnt get a good bite in the socket .
So, in keeping this thread alive I'll go and check this out tomorrow in the coolness of the morning and see if I can cut an end off the allen head and make a bit for the chapmans kit.
Thanks for the ideas guys.
Rob
Infantryman Terry Street
End of Tour April,4,2008 Panjwayi district Afghanistan

fleetmechanic

When using the long ball tipped Allen on a ratchet you need to rotate the pipe shield outward enough or remove it so that the shaft of the Allen is resting right on the pipe itself.  Otherwise the angle is too steep. This is accessed from the top side of the pipe.

thirdjld

Ohio put a good tech tip in suggesting replacing those bolts with ones that could be safety wired in. I had to replace those bolts at 4 AM in a New Mexico hotel parking lot. Not a lot of fun but better than doing it in the middle of the day there.
It is not the critic who counts;The credit goes to the man who is in the arena

PoorUB

They should really be long studs. Run one nut down to tighten down the cover, put the hanger on, then another nut to tighten down the hanger.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

Coyote

Just clean the two that hold the exhaust hanger and use a bit of blue loctite. Never had them come loose again after that.