April 18, 2024, 02:40:11 PM

News:

Screw too long.....

Started by 1340evo, June 19, 2021, 02:44:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1340evo

June 19, 2021, 02:44:35 PM Last Edit: June 19, 2021, 03:57:47 PM by 1340evo
Really glad I've done my engine now, All I need are the S&S tappets and we'll be off again.

I've also found a few issues along the way that the guy who built the engine obviously didn't notice!
one piston the wrong way, pushrods mixed up, cam gears tight, oil pump seal in wrong, circlip in oil pump not C clip, tappet oil screen inverted, pushrod tubes without shims, no shim on the cam or breather, a host of not tight bolts, not to mention what he'd done to the crank itself and gearbox input shaft.

He's obviously been keen to tart it up instead of getting it right. The cap heads on the oil pump are a nightmare with the in-feed out outlets where they are.

Only tonight whilst putting on the inlet manifold, I noticed the flange bits not going fully to the heads, reason being the fancy cap head screws were too long so I've had to cut 1/8" off them all to stop them bottoming?

Its amazing what people do thinking they are improving things, but at the same time just making a mess!...  :nix:

Big thanks to everone who's helped along the way!!

motorhogman

It ran with the push rods mixed up ?  Mixed up meaning Intake being used on exhaust and visa versa ?  I messed up that way once and there was no way you would run the engine like that..The second it starts constant coughing through the carb...
where's the points and condenser ?<br />Tom / aka motor

1340evo

No, out of order and two upside down? I don't think they were inlet on exhaust...