March 29, 2024, 01:04:43 AM

News:

Spacers on the primary front shaft

Started by 1340evo, June 20, 2021, 07:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1340evo

June 20, 2021, 07:36:09 AM Last Edit: June 20, 2021, 11:10:13 AM by 1340evo
Look to have quite a collection here. Guess I need to take the clutch out to remove the primary chain and with a piece to cotton, see if the two sprockets line up. Although the manual says to measure the chain from the primary casting face. May be a better option if it means anything?

Where should the rotor be positioned, when I put it on, it wants to sit at a given position due to the magnetic field, is this the spot to clamp it? right now with a small washer behind and one in front it gets pushed back from where it wants to be.. is this correct??

xlfan

You need to establish clearance for rotor "cup" towards stator.
The big thick spacer goes outside rotor.
There is absolutely no necessary "positioning" of rotor, it rotates anyway.
Small thin shims are for alignment of primary chain.

1340evo

Looking in the manual, it says the big washer goes on the outside of the rotor which I have, and there is a small washer on the inside of the rotor, which I have. But I also have a small washer on the outside of the rotor also inbetween the rotor and the big washer.

What I need to establish is where the rotor should sit. Is it best pushing it in (as long as it does not catch anything) or when you put the rotor on, it wants to be positioned due to the magnetoc forces at a position where both small washers would have to be on the inside.

Is this correct, how do you know where the rotor is best positioned?

xlfan

Never mind the magnetic positioning of the rotor, it will be clamped down when you torque up the compensator nut.

1340evo

June 20, 2021, 11:07:04 AM #4 Last Edit: June 20, 2021, 11:15:59 AM by 1340evo
yes, I understand that.. but where is the best place for it relative to the magnetic field? Where it want to be itself (both shims behind), or push it further in (a shim either side).
It will work both ways, just wondering if one is better for charging? Think I'll put both shims behind as this is where it wants to sit...

Measuring from the primary case face, I'm getting on average 0.017" between the clutch end and the front sprocket end so within the specified .030".. so all good there. But I'm not sure if that's meaningful?