April 27, 2024, 04:18:42 PM

News:

Touring oil pan cleaning.

Started by hrdtail78, August 06, 2021, 09:19:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hrdtail78

With the M8's and stock TC pans that don't have a removable baffle.  Has anyone came up with a way to make sure it is cleaned out?  M8 oil pan is back ordered and there isn't an aftermarket option.  To remove baffle and then drill and tap to get it back in isn't really cost efficient.  Is the bigger part washer an option?  How about a radiator shop boiling them out?  Or is it really just a throw away item?
Semper Fi

smoserx1

QuoteTo remove baffle and then drill and tap to get it back in isn't really cost efficient.

The pans are sort of pricey, plus if you can't get one it may be your only option unless you want to wait.  Can't the rivets be drilled out and replaced with self tapping screws?  When my 99 was fairly new it had a cam bearing failure fixed under that extended warranty back then.  Anyway the dealer did not remove and clean the pan.  I continued to get debris on the plug magnet for several oil changes.  Eventually I ended up replacing the pan due to a stripped drain, but diagnosing the old pan revealed all of the debris were gone.  Makes you wonder where it went, but I am still riding the bike.  I would say if you flush it enough you will reach a point where anything left will stay and not be a problem, but who knows how thorough that needs to be?

Don D

Quick and easy is use drive screws
https://www.mcmaster.com/90081a003/
Cleaning by power washer,