March 28, 2024, 03:57:27 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Touring Shocks

Started by hbkeith, June 21, 2021, 02:07:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Bronson

Quote from: turboprop on June 24, 2021, 08:43:18 AM
Quote from: Coyote on June 23, 2021, 05:23:44 PM
Quote from: turboprop on June 23, 2021, 06:03:46 AM
Might as well be a discussion about the best oil. <rolls eyes>  The real answer is the best is whatever anyone that responds has. I don't know anyone that doesn't have 'the best' and thinks that you should have the same as them.

Those el cheapo Bitubo's for $450 are made in Australia and are an older Koni design that Bitubo bought the rights to.

The very expensive shocks I put on my '12 RG just plain sucked <rolls eyes>. So not everyone says they have the best.  :wink:

Yep, have done that too. Made the mistake early on of listening to the chorus of online experts that were simply repeating what they heard others say. Wont do that again. I still have those very expensive shocks on a shelf. Eventually someone I dont like will buy a bike that they fit and I will make them 'a deal'.
Meanwhile, sellers are laughing all the way to the bank. 
Going down that long, lonesome highway. Gonna live life my way.

speedzter

June 25, 2021, 05:26:33 PM #26 Last Edit: June 25, 2021, 05:33:13 PM by speedzter
I have to correct the mention that Bitubo are made in Australia.
IKon are the Australian company that make shocks using Koni tech.
Bitubo are a very large Italian company.
I run Bitubo on my Fxdx, and very happy with them.

I noticed Traxxion sell Bitubo, probably worth a phone call.

hbkeith

Quote from: turboprop on June 25, 2021, 08:53:35 AM
Quote from: hbkeith on June 25, 2021, 01:47:16 AM
ive put up with the Air Shocks on my Bagger long enough , roads here in Michigan are getting worse everyday , My FXR with stock Shocks rides TONS better over the bumps  than my RK . I put stock FXR shocks on my RK just to check it out ,RK to heavy they bottom out .

I dont normally do this but will offer to do you a solid. I have a set of those el cheapo Bitubo's on my bagger and have no issue with pulling them for you to try for a month or so. This will not inconvenience me in the slightest as I hardly ever ride the bagger and have a couple other sets of shocks I can swap in as a place holder until you send mine back. Let me know if you are interested in trying them.
< SOLID  :up:

Deye76

How are the Bitubo's 2 up? Thinking about them for my RK that see's mostly 2 up rides.
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

jmorton10

I have Ohlin 772 Blackline on my 07 RK.  I am finally happy with a set of shocks (& I am embarrassed to admit how many sets of "great shocks" I tried before coming to that conclusion)

~John
HC 124", Dragula, Pingel air shift W/Dyna Shift Minder & onboard compressor, NOS

Jim Bronson

Quote from: jmorton10 on June 27, 2021, 03:48:51 PM
I have Ohlin 772 Blackline on my 07 RK.  I am finally happy with a set of shocks (& I am embarrassed to admit how many sets of "great shocks" I tried before coming to that conclusion)

~John
I have a set of Ohlins HD-159 shocks in the closet because I couldn't get them to work as well as the HD Premiums. Given all the raves about them, I must believe I'm doing something wrong. What are the secrets to the adjustments? I bought them from the factory, and I discussed the recommended spring and how to do the adjustments with a rep. They are still not as compliant as the Premiums but worlds better than stock. ('15 RK). There are only two adjustments plus a length adjustment, so it can't be that hard.

I'm laid up with a bad back again, so it may be a good time to play with them.

harpwrench

You should consider spring choice as an adjustment too, if you can't make the ohlins ride significantly nicer than hd premium then you have the wrong spring

Jim Bronson

As mentioned, the factory rep said I have the correct spring rate. I'm wondering how he could be mistaken.

louloupa

In France we have a manufacturer of excellent quality shock absorbers. Equivalent to olhins for less.
EMC. You can choose the spring and the length (more stroke). I don't know if he sells in the USA
I have some on my road king (13.5 "length, 4" of travel )

harpwrench

Quote from: Jim Bronson on June 27, 2021, 07:11:32 PM
As mentioned, the factory rep said I have the correct spring rate. I'm wondering how he could be mistaken.

My experience with them is that personal taste, roads you run, and your weight might fall into being right for both 25nm or 27nm springs (for example), but you'll want different rebound and preload settings to make them work. But they won't ride the same. A tighter rebound setting and jacked up preload on a softer spring feels totally different than a looser rebound setting on the next spring up. Springs are relatively inexpensive, and it's potentially frustrating but worth it if you figure it out. A guy over the phone doesn't know your roads or exactly what you consider the best ride. Ohlins told me 25's would work but recommended 27's for my ultra. I preferred 29's on our crap road. They resurfaced the road this spring and now 27's are good. You just have to figure it out.

turboprop

Quote from: louloupa on July 07, 2021, 10:07:14 AM
In France we have a manufacturer of excellent quality shock absorbers. Equivalent to olhins for less.
EMC. You can choose the spring and the length (more stroke). I don't know if he sells in the USA
I have some on my road king (13.5 "length, 4" of travel )

Those are very good shocks. Some of my friends have had them shipped to the US from France and really like them. I rode of the guys bikes with these shocks for an entire day in the mountains on twisty roads and really like how they felt.
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

tomcat64

Maybe I'm an old leather ass, but I've never had a problem with stock shocks,,

Fugawee

Me neither.  From Sportsters to FLH's, and quite a few others in between.  I put a big name after-market (don't want to mention what brand) set of rear shocks on an 80' Shovel, and took them off within a week.  Put the stock ones back on.  I hit a good pot hole on a 94' FLH, and blew the right rear seal.  Shock oil all over.  Regardless, have always used stock shocks.  But, to each their own.  My idea of a good ride, and handling; may be different then others.  Whatever works for You, I suppose.

hbkeith

Quote from: speedzter on June 25, 2021, 05:26:33 PM
I have to correct the mention that Bitubo are made in Australia.
IKon are the Australian company that make shocks using Koni tech.
Bitubo are a very large Italian company.
Yes , this is what i am seeing

Quote from: Deye76 on June 27, 2021, 07:34:44 AM
How are the Bitubo's 2 up? Thinking about them for my RK that see's mostly 2 up rides.
I am debating between the Ikon or Bitubo for my 2 up RK , both around same price