March 28, 2024, 04:06:30 PM

News:

Touring Shocks

Started by hbkeith, June 21, 2021, 02:07:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hbkeith

I know been discussed a bunch , Anyone tried any Cheap Shocks ( Not lowered Shocks ) on a Bagger lately ? Thinking on trying some , a friend tried some cheap 13" D.S. shocks on his RG says he likes them , but he is smaller and rides solo. I just cant (wont ) pay a $1000 + for shocks

HogMike

Quote from: hbkeith on June 21, 2021, 02:07:27 AM
I know been discussed a bunch , Anyone tried any Cheap Shocks ( Not lowered Shocks ) on a Bagger lately ? Thinking on trying some , a friend tried some cheap 13" D.S. shocks on his RG says he likes them , but he is smaller and rides solo. I just cant (wont ) pay a $1000 + for shocks

Shocks are very subjective.
I have the same custom shocks I bought in 2009 on my 2019 bike. I paid a little more for them at the time over what was offered from other companies.
I have had them serviced many times over the years and they are not as "pretty" as they were new but I love the ride and they work well for me. It took 3 tries to get them dialed in for me but they are "keepers".

Get rear shocks that work well and every time you go riding you'll think of how much nicer they are versus stock shocks!

JMHO
:potstir:
HOGMIKE
SoCal

sharkoilfield

Put Progressive 444's on the wifes FXDL. She could definitely tell the difference up here on some of our roads. I went with 412's on my FXDF; they're not as effective (better rebound dampening on the 444's) but both are much better than stock and certainly not $1000+

PoorUB

I put a set of Ohlin HD-772 Blackline 13" on my 2016. If I were to buy another Harley bagger they would be on the bike the second day. The baggers wit the limited suspension travel are tough to improve, but the Ohlins shocks made a very noticeable improvement. The sell for about $900.

You might want to read this, https://harleytechtalk.com/htt/index.php/topic,111656.0.html
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

GD

I have tried a few different shocks on my 2005 Roadglide and just bought a set of Ohlin HD-772 Blackline 13 inch. I do not regret the purchase at all they are hands down the best shock I have tried. They were not cheap but they were worth the money to me.

Chief0299

I bought the racing bros 13" bazooka shocks and blew the oil seal on one of them. Not too bad while they lasted. However, their warranty was a huge pain. Can't get a single replacement, have to send both shocks in to whoever you purchased them from and they have to process the warranty claim. Then you wait to see if the repair/rebuild is covered. Could take months.

I ended up buying a set if the drag specialty 13" heavy duty adjustable shocks. They're not bad for the price. But the heavy duty shocks are stiff as hell! The roads in oklahoma are riddled with potholes and repairs and every day I wish I had purchased the light duty versions.

hattitude

Quote from: GD on June 21, 2021, 05:56:34 PM
I have tried a few different shocks on my 2005 Roadglide and just bought a set of Ohlin HD-772 Blackline 13 inch. I do not regret the purchase at all they are hands down the best shock I have tried. They were not cheap but they were worth the money to me.

Same with my baggers... first on a 2012 Limited and now a 2016 Ultra Classic...

I tried several shocks and ended up with the Ohlin 772 Blackline shocks....  These are keepers..

It would have been a bunch cheaper if I had just spent the money on the Ohlins first..

TN

You can find bitubo WME 13" for 450 er so. They make a fine shock.
Just Ride..........

boggart

I tried a bunch of "cheap" options.  Thing is, it's not cheap when you keep buying new shocks trying to find a good pair and still buy the good ones anyway.

PoorUB

Boggart, Good point.

$450 shacks are not a great deal if they don't hold up in the long run. Ohlins has a good reputation. Pay more and get a shock that is well recommended.

Jim Bronson

FWIW, I noticed that my RK rides better with my empty detachable tour pack installed. It weighs about 30 Lb. Someday I'll add some weight and give it a try. This may partially account for the better ride reported by RG owners. I'm still using HD premiums, but I have a pair of Ohlins in the closet. Maybe someday I'll swap them again (fingers crossed).
Going down that long, lonesome highway. Gonna live life my way.

scott7d

I installed 772's from Smarty last weekend. It's like having your own personal suspension tech on standby when you order from him. He is not satisfied until you're satisfied.  I followed the instructions for sag, felt like it was a little rigid. He gave me a call and had me change a few things up and now they are perfect. I didn't think it could get better than my old Revo A's, but it indeed can.
Scott Matlock - Bloomington, IN
Iron Butt Rider #72408 - Facebook: The Hoosier Cruiser

turboprop

Might as well be a discussion about the best oil. <rolls eyes>  The real answer is the best is whatever anyone that responds has. I don't know anyone that doesn't have 'the best' and thinks that you should have the same as them.

Those el cheapo Bitubo's for $450 are made in Australia and are an older Koni design that Bitubo bought the rights to.
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

Yellow09SERG

Quote from: scott7d on June 22, 2021, 09:05:22 PM
I installed 772's from Smarty last weekend. It's like having your own personal suspension tech on standby when you order from him. He is not satisfied until you're satisfied.  I followed the instructions for sag, felt like it was a little rigid. He gave me a call and had me change a few things up and now they are perfect. I didn't think it could get better than my old Revo A's, but it indeed can.

I agree with having your own personal suspension tech. Smarty is really customer oriented

Coyote

Quote from: turboprop on June 23, 2021, 06:03:46 AM
Might as well be a discussion about the best oil. <rolls eyes>  The real answer is the best is whatever anyone that responds has. I don't know anyone that doesn't have 'the best' and thinks that you should have the same as them.

Those el cheapo Bitubo's for $450 are made in Australia and are an older Koni design that Bitubo bought the rights to.

The very expensive shocks I put on my '12 RG just plain sucked <rolls eyes>. So not everyone says they have the best.  :wink:

Ohio HD

I started street riding life on rigid frames, now they all feel good to me. Funny what you get used to, I still like stiff suspensions.   

kd

Quote from: Ohio HD on June 23, 2021, 05:44:46 PM
I started street riding life on rigid frames, now they all feel good to me. Funny what you get used to, I still like stiff suspensions.

You know, I often find myself saying the same thing to myself .  I don't seem to mind the stiff suspensions because I am programed to a seating position that absorbs surprise shock events to the spine.  I rode a friend's SG that had a noticeably softer ride that my RGU but it has yet to drive me to spend big 4 figure bucks on shocks "hoping" to improve the ride.
KD

scott7d

In a lot of cases, that is true. Most people have their mind made up the second they spend the money (placebo effect). Then if other people also buy what they have, they feel a sense of validation. In my case, I went into it with an open mind. I don't know how many times I've swapped parts expecting something to be better, and I went back to the previous part. Lots of hard and expensive lessons learned. In this particular case with my suspension, I bet I could do a blind test and tell which set was on. No skin in the game or reason to swing from a certain vendor/brand's kahunas.
Scott Matlock - Bloomington, IN
Iron Butt Rider #72408 - Facebook: The Hoosier Cruiser

Ohio HD

Quote from: kd on June 23, 2021, 06:13:46 PM

You know, I often find myself saying the same thing to myself .  I don't seem to mind the stiff suspensions because I am programed to a seating position that absorbs surprise shock events to the spine.  I rode a friend's SG that had a noticeably softer ride that my RGU but it has yet to drive me to spend big 4 figure bucks on shocks "hoping" to improve the ride.

Do you remember the Good~Year 5.00x16 rear tires that were almost square like a car tire? Actually had grooved tread like a car tread? They had a tall soft sidewall, they absorbed some road shock on those ridged bikes. The didn't make than all that long, it was like mid 70's to 80 and the drifted away. 

kd

June 23, 2021, 08:22:46 PM #19 Last Edit: June 23, 2021, 08:36:48 PM by kd
Quote from: Ohio HD on June 23, 2021, 08:03:50 PM

Do you remember the Good~Year 5.00x16 rear tires that were almost square like a car tire? Actually had grooved tread like a car tread? They had a tall soft sidewall, they absorbed some road shock on those ridged bikes. The didn't make than all that long, it was like mid 70's to 80 and the drifted away. 

I have been carefully storing 3 of those minty in the dark, (one new) thinking they would look good on an original restoration. They still look nice.  I collected them for sidecar use because they were hard treads and never wore out.  We eventually removed the centre's and learned how to index and dimple 15" Volkswagen rims for a 40 spoke pattern. We laced on a Harley rear hub and ran a 560/15 radial at 8-10 lbs. air.  Gave a fat look and rode real nice.  Nice round edge profile for cornering. Used them on Crager SuperTrick modded wheels we built for Performance Machine disc brakes too. Survival techniques  :hyst:
KD

klammer76

Quote from: Ohio HD on June 23, 2021, 08:03:50 PM

Those Goodyears were speed grips. God they sucked, deadly in the rain but that is what we had back in the day. Replaced with the A/T's which I actually thought was a decent tire.

turboprop

Quote from: Coyote on June 23, 2021, 05:23:44 PM

The very expensive shocks I put on my '12 RG just plain sucked <rolls eyes>. So not everyone says they have the best.  :wink:

Yep, have done that too. Made the mistake early on of listening to the chorus of online experts that were simply repeating what they heard others say. Wont do that again. I still have those very expensive shocks on a shelf. Eventually someone I dont like will buy a bike that they fit and I will make them 'a deal'.

PoorUB

All I know is I replaced the shocks on my 2016, didn't say anything to my wife and the first time she was on back she asked me what did I change because it side so much better.

When I  bought shocks, Smarty and I  had a long discussion about the remote reservoir shocks and told me I  would never notice  the difference for the extra money.

Like I said before, if I bought a new bagger I would put Ohlins on it at the start.

hbkeith

ive put up with the Air Shocks on my Bagger long enough , roads here in Michigan are getting worse everyday , My FXR with stock Shocks rides TONS better over the bumps  than my RK . I put stock FXR shocks on my RK just to check it out ,RK to heavy they bottom out .

turboprop

Quote from: hbkeith on June 25, 2021, 01:47:16 AM
ive put up with the Air Shocks on my Bagger long enough , roads here in Michigan are getting worse everyday , My FXR with stock Shocks rides TONS better over the bumps  than my RK . I put stock FXR shocks on my RK just to check it out ,RK to heavy they bottom out .

I dont normally do this but will offer to do you a solid. I have a set of those el cheapo Bitubo's on my bagger and have no issue with pulling them for you to try for a month or so. This will not inconvenience me in the slightest as I hardly ever ride the bagger and have a couple other sets of shocks I can swap in as a place holder until you send mine back. Let me know if you are interested in trying them.