March 28, 2024, 10:53:07 AM

News:

20 year refurb: front brakes

Started by PC_Hater, June 21, 2021, 09:30:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PC_Hater

The front brake lever on the 99 FLTRI was getting a bit soft, I had been neglecting bleeding the brakes, decided it was time to flush the system.
The master cylinder was filthy inside. Cleaned it up with methylated spirits (de-natured alcohol) and reconnected everything.
The system would NOT bleed or pump up properly!

Time for a master cylinder rebuild kit then.
Should I buy a pair of Harrison 4 piston calipers to replace the old fashioned slidey caliper things while it was apart?
Yes - been meaning to do it for years.

Doing the master cylinder really was as easy as the YouTube videos showed it to be! That's a first...
Used the Mitivac to suck the new DOT 5 fluid through then used the brake lever - they pumped up soft so I removed the calipers and spent a happy hour or so tapping them and moving them around to persuade any air pockets to move as I bled the system.
Got a reasonable feel at the lever and then tied the lever to the throttle to squeeze the last of the air out.
Released it a couple of hours later. Excellent feel!

I was worried they might have become a bit too sensitive for me - I was brought up on single leading shoe and twin leading shoe drum brakes, with chrome plated discs that didn't work in the rain thrown in for good measure!
The brakes are fine, nice feel on the lever, powerful yet easily controllable. (or still far too weak depending on what you are used to!)

My mates that ride modern Triumphs etc tell me that the manual tells you to rebuild the calipers and master cylinder every 5 years! I have never seen anything like that in a Harley workshop manual. The manual for my old Bonnie says 40,000 miles. I know I rebuilt the master cylinder once in the 88,000 miles I rode on it.

So there we have it, sometimes you really do have to buy the rebuild kits for your brakes.
The caliper upgrade is optional but I doubt you will regret it.

1942 WLA45 chop, 1999 FLTR(not I), 2000 1200S

bump

I flushed out whole brake system on my 02 FLHTC. Made a big difference in the feel of the brakes.

Hossamania

I also try to flush the brake fluid every two years. It's due.
Forks are due to be drained and filled as well.
Maybe tomorrow.  I'm going riding.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take away everything you have.

Norton Commando

I flush the brakes every year as part of my spring maintenance program.

Jason
Remember, you can sleep in your car, but you can't drive your house.