March 28, 2024, 12:58:29 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Thread Tape

Started by hywystar, June 22, 2021, 09:44:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hywystar

Hey All,....just wondering-ready to mount new tank on my Softail and need to install original petcock/strainer. Should i use pipe thread tape or not?
Don't Ride Faster Than Your Angels Can Fly

fleetmechanic

I always have.  Don't know what happens if I don't.  But each half needs to be wrapped in the correct direction since half the threads are left hand.

fidel

there some tape  for oil   better ue than white  teflon tape for water

Scotty

Loctite 567 is what the service manual recommends.
There is not one place on a Harley that uses plumbing tape and you should save that for your house plumbing.

Pop-pop2

IIRC Locktite 567 is pipe thread sealant. Never use tape in an area where it could have a strand come loose and clog a port or valve.

Norton Commando

Quote from: Pop-pop2 on June 24, 2021, 12:43:40 AM
IIRC Locktite 567 is pipe thread sealant. Never use tape in an area where it could have a strand come loose and clog a port or valve.

That's the issue with Teflon tape.  If it's not properly wrapped, a piece of tape may be cut loose and end up clogging an orifice. Teflon tape should be wrapped on a male thread by starting two threads from the end and wound clockwise for a right-hand thread.

Jason
Remember, you can sleep in your car, but you can't drive your house.