April 19, 2024, 01:13:40 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Stupid Battery Question.

Started by Bladesmith, June 22, 2021, 11:04:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bladesmith

I'm installing a new battery, I forgot which you screw on first Negative or Positive....Also with lead terminals with a screw hole on both the top and sides, would it be OK to use the top holes FLSTN.

I'm being cautious because a friend just burned the hell out of his hand helping a girl install a car battery. Seems his wrench in one hand shorted against his wedding band on the other hand. Serious burn, the burn center told him not to ride for at least a month.
If my thought dreams could be seen they'd  put my head in a guillotine.. Dylan

Coyote

Negative cable is always the last to connect and the first to disconnect.

Hossamania

And be careful with those wrenches! I tape mine up as a precaution. I will also put a piece of tape over the other terminal when tightening with a wrench to prevent shorts.
Negative cable first off, last on, prevents the wrench from shorting against the frame when tightening the positive cable.
I do not wear my ring as I am an electrician. But as much as I worry about getting shocked, I worry about getting my finger caught by the ring on objects while working. Not good when coming down a ladder and your finger is caught between two pipes or brackets.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

Tacocaster

"There are no stupid questions... yady-yaw-yaddi-yaw". First, know that!

Coy-dawg got you terminal sequencing question, I'll respond to your attachment question.....

What are the posts gonna touch when the seat is back-on?. If you don't know - OR - just lazy, attach to the side posts and avoid the fire potential.

Added bonus information - 1. Add a strap to go under your battery so you can lift it out when necessary. 2. Slightly lift the battery to make the side-post attachments. 3. Make sure the battery is secured in-place so it won't move before you cover it.

Hopefully there's something useful there for you.
We're all A-holes. It's to what degree that makes us different.

Bladesmith

Hey Guys, Thanks for the quick replies...The straps a good idea , never thought of that. Screwing from the top would be a lot easier , I'm using the stock seat which has a plastic pan so I don't think it would short on any thing..I'm trying a Duracell battery this time around.
If my thought dreams could be seen they'd  put my head in a guillotine.. Dylan

Coyote

As long as the negative cable is first off, last on, you can't possible short anything (except across the battery terminals). The whole point in removing the neg first is the frame is now disconnected and if you do short a tool from positive to the frame, nothing happens.

Hossamania

As far as attaching to the tops of the posts, make sure the seat pan isn't hitting the bolt heads and potentially breaking the posts. There may be a problem with the cables actually reaching the top of the posts, those always seem to be tight when attaching to the side posts. Other than that, there should be no problems going to the top of the posts.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.