March 28, 2024, 02:05:00 AM

News:

Andrews #1 cam

Started by Reddog74usa, June 23, 2021, 09:51:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reddog74usa

I have an 82 FXE which is a low compression later Shovel and was looking at the Andrews #1 cam as it's for the low comp shovel engines. Anybody ever run this cam and what do you think of it? Engine is bone stock and has never been into. Not looking for a hot rod, just a nice crisp running shovel.
RIDE IT LIKE YA STOLE IT

capn

That #1 is a good cam.Good usable power.

guppymech

June 23, 2021, 02:09:04 PM #2 Last Edit: June 23, 2021, 02:21:35 PM by guppymech
I installed a #1 cam in my '84 FXE and am very happy with it.  I switched to solid lifters  and the engine runs much better, I guess my hydros had a pretty good leakdown rate even though they were always quiet.  On my engine the rear intake lobe hit the pinion bearing boss so I had to do some light clearancing.  You wouldn't think the lobe would hit with the lift of a #1 but it did so watch out.
Link to thread with pics and info on lobe hitting.
https://harleytechtalk.com/htt/index.php/topic,111102.msg1326121.html#msg1326121
'84 FXE, '02 883R

david lee

my 80 lowrider has run a andrews b grind cam for years no problem

Reddog74usa

June 23, 2021, 05:22:45 PM #4 Last Edit: June 23, 2021, 07:17:12 PM by Reddog74usa
No way I would put a "B" cam in a low cr engine. Not wanting to pull the heads at this point and am looking for a nice bolt in. If and when I pull the top end I'll be doing a Mackie 530 cam, his head work and 9.5 cr forged pistons.  :bike:
RIDE IT LIKE YA STOLE IT

david lee

Quote from: Reddog74usa on June 23, 2021, 05:22:45 PM
No way I would put a "B" cam in a low cr engine. Not wanting to pull the heads at this point and am looking for a nice bolt in. If and when I pull the top end I'll be doing a Mackie 530 cam, his head work and 9.5 cr forged pistons.  :bike:
ill mention that to my hd mech whos a master with shovels

Reddog74usa

Make Shure you mention the 7.5 cr on the 82 shovels and up when you talk to him. B cams like compression.
RIDE IT LIKE YA STOLE IT

Ohio HD

Andrews doesn't offer the old 'B' cam anymore, but anything less than 9.5:1 compression makes for a very soft low and midrange. As well the upper end won't reach the cams potential without more compression and or cubic inches. Stock 74" or 80" motors, anything more than an 'A' grind is too much cam.

The old number '3' cam had similar timing to the 'A' grind, but with more lift. Made for a broad torque range in motors with 8.5:1 to 9.5:1 compression.

Winston Wolf

I have one in my 82 FLT.  It runs nice and smooth, starts great, even with the stock Keihin. Not a turd in the lower rpms, but I don't ever rev it past 5k either.  It will pull the bike past 100 on flat ground.  But I've been in situations in the mountains where it's loaded and 2 up and I couldn't get over 55 MPH.  That's not a cam issue though, it's a shovelhead one.