April 27, 2024, 10:00:40 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

How deep into top triple tree can fork tubes be "cheated" to raise front end?

Started by Shadowbennie, June 23, 2021, 11:02:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

boggart

Installing one of these really diminished that "vague" feeling in sweepers.  Maybe it would help what you're feeling

https://www.alloyart.com/products/touring-frame-stabilizer-09-to-16

Shadowbennie

Quote from: boggart on July 15, 2021, 02:24:25 PM
Installing one of these really diminished that "vague" feeling in sweepers.  Maybe it would help what you're feeling

https://www.alloyart.com/products/touring-frame-stabilizer-09-to-16

I actually have one of those - one of the first things I put on when I started experiencing the handling issues thinking maybe I was getting drivetrain flex.

Shadowbennie

Update - I've really started tearing into this biznatch and am going to try to eliminate all possible points (that I'm aware of) of pivot & movement that could have enough wear to create sketchy handling.

Front motor mounts were replaced as of yesterday. I *think* there is some improvement, but I guess I'm so hyper-sensitive to any little bobble, weave, etc now, I feel like I've somewhat lost the ability to determine what movements are reasonable/normal or not. But, I think it helped some - it certainly can't hurt at this point.

Next, I'm getting the steering head bearings & cups replaced, and if the issues still exists, I'll do the swingarm bushings, bearings, and pivot shaft.

After that, I'm out of ideas.

kd

What tire pressure are you running.  I have a 2011 RGU (same frame) and found the tire pressure to cause what you describe if it is too high.  I like the 40# rear and 39 / 40 front.  If the pressure is a little high and then on a hot day it climbs from road heat and flex it gets absolutely freaky.  When this happened I lowered it a PSI at a time and when I hit that 40# level it was back to normal.  It's a no cost test for you.  You need to know your gauge is correct first.  Carry a 12V pump with you and experiment.  As you hit the levels only a few pounds higher it can make your sphincter twitch at highway speed. You may want to do both tires at the same time.
KD

Shadowbennie

Quote from: kd on July 26, 2021, 02:19:10 PM
What tire pressure are you running.  I have a 2011 RGU (same frame) and found the tire pressure to cause what you describe if it is too high.  I like the 40# rear and 39 / 40 front.  If the pressure is a little high and then on a hot day it climbs from road heat and flex it gets absolutely freaky.  When this happened I lowered it a PSI at a time and when I hit that 40# level it was back to normal.  It's a no cost test for you.  You need to know your gauge is correct first.  Carry a 12V pump with you and experiment.  As you hit the levels only a few pounds higher it can make your sphincter twitch at highway speed. You may want to do both tires at the same time.

When I checked pressure a day after tire install, it was about 38 front/40-41 rear - I typically run 36-38 front, and right at about 40-42 rear pretty consistently. I'll pick up a better tire gauge and test this theory as well, but I think I'm still moving forward with the steering head refresh, I feel like it's good to eliminate all possible variables.