News:

Oil pump gerotor question

Started by Adam76, June 26, 2021, 11:42:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hossamania

If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

Buglet

I think someone had the wrong measurements for the freezer and hair dryer to work. Glad it work out.

kd

Quote from: Buglet on June 30, 2021, 05:41:28 AM
    I think someone had the wrong measurements for the freezer and hair dryer to work. Glad it work out.

I do too but proof that it is worth trying things that are not bridge burning before resorting to things like machining that there is no return from if wrong. 
KD

Scotty

Well it's winter here in OZ and at a guess the pistons were cold and the wrist pins were warm from handling and just shows how metal expands.

PoorUB

Ya think?!

I questioned the measurements earlier.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

Adam76

Quote from: kd on June 30, 2021, 06:17:06 AM

I do too but proof that it is worth trying things that are not bridge burning before resorting to things like machining that there is no return from if wrong.

Yeah, my measurements might have been off.... but the fact is that under normal ambient temperatures the wrist pins would not go into the bores of the pistons for love nor money. That's why I did the measurements in the first place.

I still question whether this is right, because once I got the wrist pins in and they started to thaw out, they then seized inside the piston bore. I would imagine that for optimum function this is not ideal and may cause excessive wear on the connecting rod bushing?? I'm just guessing here. But I would be happier if they rotated freely in the bore like the set of pistons I did on my last build.  :nix:

Is a seized wrist pin anything to be concerned about?

Thanks

SP33DY

QuoteYeah, my measurements might have been off.... but the fact is that under normal ambient temperatures the wrist pins would not go into the bores of the pistons for love nor money. That's why I did the measurements in the first place.

I still question whether this is right, because once I got the wrist pins in and they started to thaw out, they then seized inside the piston bore. I would imagine that for optimum function this is not ideal and may cause excessive wear on the connecting rod bushing?? I'm just guessing here. But I would be happier if they rotated freely in the bore like the set of pistons I did on my last build.  :nix:

Is a seized wrist pin anything to be concerned about?

Thanks

You should be okay. Years ago the Sputhe big bore pistons were all shipped that way with instructions to what you did. He said that long as the wrist pin was free in the connecting rod, it was good. Once the engine fires the aluminum piston expands enough to make the wrist pin loose.

He did some other things that were a little different, like using a copper ring instead of a head gasket... R.I.P. Alan!

Adam76

Ok, thanks. 👍 good to know.

Thanks again for the helpful info guys, much appreciated. You're legends.
Cheers.

Buglet

You should be ok. I the early days you had to heat up the Harley pistons to side the wrist pin in. I just think your measurements might of being off.

Adam76

Quote from: Buglet on July 01, 2021, 05:09:30 AM
  You should be ok. I the early days you had to heat up the Harley pistons to side the wrist pin in. I just think your measurements might of being off.

Yep  thanks 👍

Adam76

Got the pistons and the cylinders on.  All seems well.

Scotty

You didn't forget the two o-rings on the oil return dowels  part number 11273 I hope  :potstir:
Also the cylinder base o-rings part number 11256  :fish:

Adam76

Quote from: Scotty on July 02, 2021, 01:11:40 AM
You didn't forget the two o-rings on the oil return dowels  part number 11273 I hope  :potstir:
Also the cylinder base o-rings part number 11256  :fish:

Thanks Scotty, no thankfully I didn't forget the cylinder base o-rings or the 2 o-rings for the oil return dowels.

I had the full 95" Cometic top end gasket kit and once I'd actually figured out why I was a few o-rings short -- I didn't need any cylinder deck o-rings because I had the MLS head gaskets!   :doh:  then I had it sorted. For a minute there I was scratching my head thinking I was going crazy... 😂😂

Scotty