April 15, 2024, 11:30:15 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

What is the degree of inner clutch cable ramp on 2021 touring models?

Started by klammer76, December 07, 2021, 07:23:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

klammer76

Looking to see if anyone knows what the inner and outer clutch cable ramps are for 2021 cable clutch touring bikes? I am looking to get the inner ramp to machine for a Baker heavy duty throw out bearing.

The Softails with cable clutches were a 19* ramp but were changed to a 21* ramp around 2020 according to a TSB. Trying to find out if the 2021 touring models came with and use the same degree ramps.

Thanks,
klammer

klammer76

hrdtail78

Part number they give in the 21 book is for the assembly.  37000376.  When you look it up in the 20 softail book.  It only breaks down the assembly.  Maybe a dealer can tell you what comes in the assembly.
Semper Fi

FSG

Ohio HD

Here are the part numbers I come up with, No idea what the angle is on them.

37000376    KIT, CLUTCH SERVICE, with 34920-86A, 37200434, 37200435, 8873

37200435    INNER RAMP
37200434    OUTER RAMP

Added: Yes these are the 21° ramp part numbers. 

klammer76

Quote from: Ohio HD on December 09, 2021, 01:55:31 PMHere are the part numbers I come up with, No idea what the angle is on them.

37000376    KIT, CLUTCH SERVICE, with 34920-86A, 37200434, 37200435, 8873

37200435    INNER RAMP
37200434    OUTER RAMP

Added: Yes these are the 21° ramp part numbers. 

Thanks Ohio. My 2021 Touring parts manual just listed the 37000376 as a kit. it didn't break it down as to what was in the kit. Did you by chance find that under a softail parts manual?

I had the M1514 also, this confirms the info I needed. I'll order the 37200435 and have it machined to use the Baker throwout bearing.

Ohio HD

No, you said a touring bike.

klammer76

Quote from: Ohio HD on December 09, 2021, 06:02:56 PMNo, you said a touring bike.

Right, I have a Road Glide Special. Just wondered where you found the info as it wasn't broken down in my service parts manual. Looks like you got it from the HD sip site.

hrdtail78

Semper Fi

klammer76

Quote from: hrdtail78 on December 10, 2021, 08:12:27 AMDoesn't the baker come with ball and ramp already machined?

They do but they only have the TC ramp and I believe the M8 is different (different part number).

Bakers is also the HD light pull ramp (18* IIRC). On my 2002, I run a Muller ramp machined for the larger Baker bearing. It works well and pull is very light but it is very finicky about adjustment.I ran the stock 21* ramp on the 02 machined for the bearing and with a white Bro's eay boy atachment for years. That was easy and gave a good range of adjustment with great disengagement but wouldn't fit in my SE 6 speed clutch release cover.

I called Baker about using the larger bearing on the 2021 M8 touring with cable clutch. Couldn't tell me if it would work. Actually don't think they realized the change for 21 by the way they talked. Looking at the parts schematic I don't see why this won't be the same as the TC's. I'l know more when I get in there to check it out.

hrdtail78

Got ya.  The bakers are 18's and in theory harder to pull but gives more throw out.  Larger number does make adjustment more finicky.  Would like to know how this all works out with the new clutch adjustment cable for you.  When I installed a Barnett drop in and basket.  I found the small spring in the adjuster not strong enough and used some finger force to help remove some slack.  It did have aftermarket bars and the bend through the inner fairing wasn't the best radius of bends and could of been affecting the spring pressure.  Not stating a problem with the adjustment for stock.
Semper Fi

Ohio HD

Here's all things clutch ramps by FSG.

The way the angle changes work. Below are the distances that three ramps will travel and push the rollers between the ramps

21° = 0.3872"
19° = 0.3263"
15° = 0.2676"

So you can see the travel is greater as the value of the angle goes up. But that also makes the lever pull stiffer.

https://harleytechtalk.com/htt/index.php/topic,96629.msg1186790.html#msg1186790

https://harleytechtalk.com/htt/index.php/topic,96629.0/all.html

klammer76

Quote from: hrdtail78 on December 10, 2021, 10:47:13 AMGot ya.  The bakers are 18's and in theory harder to pull but gives more throw out.  Larger number does make adjustment more finicky.  Would like to know how this all works out with the new clutch adjustment cable for you.  When I installed a Barnett drop in and basket.  I found the small spring in the adjuster not strong enough and used some finger force to help remove some slack.  It did have aftermarket bars and the bend through the inner fairing wasn't the best radius of bends and could of been affecting the spring pressure.  Not stating a problem with the adjustment for stock.

Think you have it backwards. The 21* is a stiffer pull and has more throw out. The 18* & IIRC a 16* at one point are shallower and have a lighter pull and less throw out. That is what is finicky about my Muller arm (18* I believe with a longer arm for leverage).The 21* ramps are what has always worked the best for me but with smalish hands and stiff spring along with some hand issues it can get a bit much in traffic (this was on my twin cam).

The only reaso for asking about the 21* fro the M8 is I had the M bulletin where the softails were switched from 19* to 21* and I wanted to make sure I was ordeing the correct inner ramp. Ohio took care of the with his break down of the components, something my service parts manual didn't do. I'll have to start using the SIP feature on the net. As I suspected, it appears the Touring and Softails use the same components.

FSG

FSG