compensator eliminator to change gearing 16 103

Started by dieselbeef, June 28, 2021, 10:09:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dieselbeef

i have a breakout..want to lower the gearing...kinda wanted to keep the compensator but dont see anyhting out there besides the dark horse unit and at over 500 and some not so great reviews idk about the..there a 30 t that comes with the chain and the tensioner and eliminates the compensator....

any help with this....heard lots on bth sides of the fence...keep it or it dont matter

thanks

new guy in here..first post...t

gary

Ohio HD

It most depends on how you ride. If you ride really spirited and keep the RPM's up, you probbaly won't notice a solid motor sprocket. If you cruise around at low RPM, you probably will notice the solid motor sprocket.

Another way is replace the clutch basket with a Evo Industries 49 tooth that comes with a longer primary chain. You'll think the $500 compensator was bargain though. They're $974.95.

Evo Industries

kd

:agree: but will add that if you are putting out big or decent power and use it the stock bascket is a known weak link that can take you down if it blows up when on the highway.  For those reasons it will be probably worth while.  That was my reasoning for doing it and it HAS been beat on.
KD

dieselbeef

engine is stage one and will only ever have cams other than that....not worth 1000$..not worth the 500 almost...figured the easiest way to get holeshot performance is gearing..works on my dirtbikes and race cars..

is the issue drivability..slip the clutch more? 

im not a fan of lugging it..usually wont see 6th til about 70 mph

Hossamania

I think you're asking what the driveability issues might be with the solid comp sprocket? Basically a more pronounced feel of the engine pulses thru the drive-line at low speeds, not as much an issue if rpms are kept up, the way it sounds like you probably ride now anyway. The pulses aren't going to be that much different than what you have now.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

jmorton10

easiest way to get holeshot performance is gearing..works on my dirtbikes and race cars..

Man of my own heart lol.  I definitely have "holeshot" gearing in my 124" RK.  I have a solid 30T motor sprocket, 24T tranny sprocket & 58T rear sprocket (chain conversion after I tore up three belts).

It feels like my old muscle cars with 4.56 rear end gears (I actually tried 5.13 gearing for a short time but that was a little to radical for street use lol)

~John
HC 124", Dragula, Pingel air shift W/Dyna Shift Minder & onboard compressor, NOS

kd

Quote from: dieselbeef on June 28, 2021, 12:57:28 PM
engine is stage one and will only ever have cams other than that....not worth 1000$..not worth the 500 almost...figured the easiest way to get holeshot performance is gearing..works on my dirtbikes and race cars..

is the issue drivability..slip the clutch more? 

im not a fan of lugging it..usually wont see 6th til about 70 mph

Give EVO Industries a call.  Tell them the basket kit is overkill for what you need.  I believe you can buy the sprocket and chain and swap out your 46 for their 49 tooth sprocket.  Their chain is a little longer to accommodate the larger 49 tooth.
KD

rigidthumper

30 tooth transmission sprocket combined with a 70 tooth rear pulley takes the ratio from 2.790 to 3.157. That helps- combine with the EVO Industries 49 tooth basket sprocket and you'll be 3.267.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

kd

:up:  3.15 is a great ratio and works well in town and on the highway.
KD

cpiccarr

I installed a Vulcan on my 10 Road glide 96cui. Compensator that was stock are bad 25k got noisy. I kept the stock ratio sprocket no complaints with 6 speed. New Vulcan is great very happy so far.

dieselbeef

evo ind has  the 30 t for a breakout..like 350 with the chain...im getting one....gotta have it....changing the oil and doing this at the same time..looks easy enough....long as i dont have to pull the clutch to get the chain off and on...

thoughts on that part....

Ohio HD

Clutch, chain and motor sprocket comes off as one unit.

dieselbeef

crap...ill have to youtube it then....i can do it..one of em is left handed tho correct?  i got the evolution one..guy was real cool...chain/sprocket/spacer included 400$.....idk what about the tensioner yet ...manual suff sucks....lol