March 28, 2024, 08:28:31 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

OEM "B" lifter preload...?

Started by hattitude, June 30, 2021, 01:07:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adam76

July 17, 2021, 04:24:16 AM #25 Last Edit: July 17, 2021, 06:20:22 AM by Adam76
Quote from: FSG on July 14, 2021, 12:25:15 AM
Adam ....  Scotty  ......    :up:   

a set of B's with a known 42K on them is a darn site better than a lot of new lifters on the market   :SM:

Thanks FSG.... I almost bought a full set of Vthunder lifters for $77.

Also, I need to bore it my oem PR tubes...  what do I need to tell the machine shop?

Thanks

Don D

There are still decent lifters available. Some are USA sourced. The CC lifters used to be made in California, not sure today.

Preload needs to be adequate to eliminate lash when hot after parts expansion, and that is a broad range considering the lifter plunger has between ~.100-.200 travel. The magic special number to eliminate noise is a myth. Setting them off the bottom with just a flat or two can help if the spring pressure is stupid.

The Delphis were a decent lifter but being used consider the plunger operated in one area its whole life under hard circumstances, lobe lift rate and spring pressure plus valve train flex. Now they get adjusted to an area where the plunger has not run before. It is a bit like stroking a master cylinder on an old car bleeding brakes going full stroke, disaster every time. My advice use new lifters and set the preload near the middle. If you must use the used parts take them apart, inspect, clean and run them.

Adam76

Thanks,  that's great info 👍

smoserx1

QuoteI almost bought a full set of Vthunder lifters for $77.

I recently did.  The ones that came out were B lifters and had 70K.  The new ones looked like decent quality.  They were a little noisy when cold but got pretty quiet when hot.  Now they have about 1300 miles on them and have gotten quieter when cold.

FSG

QuoteAlso, I need to bore it my oem PR tubes...  what do I need to tell the machine shop?

some reading

https://harleytechtalk.com/htt/index.php/topic,69838.msg

I only drilled them 2" as the bit I have is a short 3/8" reduced shank fella, 

Adam76

Quote from: FSG on July 17, 2021, 03:32:31 PM
QuoteAlso, I need to bore it my oem PR tubes...  what do I need to tell the machine shop?

some reading

https://harleytechtalk.com/htt/index.php/topic,69838.msg

I only drilled them 2" as the bit I have is a short 3/8" reduced shank fella, 

👍 thanks, need to find a friend with a lathe....